Don't forget how I grade! No title -5 No author -5 Does not meet word count -10 to -20 (depending) Mostly or all summary -10 to -20 (depending) Poor grammar/spelling -10
This week I finished reading Enders Game, by Orson Scott Card. Ender arrived at the Command School. This and the alien planet are the final settings in the book. The purpose of the command school was to determine if Ender was ready to battle the aliens so this section was full of conflict. After Ender arrived at the Command School, the instructors started teaching him to prepare for battle by having him do practice battles. The instructors told him that this would allow them to determine if he was ready for battle. He later discovered that these were not practice battles but he was actually killing aliens. Ender did not discover this until after the final battle. I believe that Ender was the protagonist and that Colonel Graf is the antagonist. Some may argue that the aliens were the antagonist. I believe that it was the Colonel because he convinced Ender to join the training, lied to Ender telling him the practice missions are simulated, and used Ender to destroy the aliens. I believe the climax of the story happened when Ender killed all of the aliens, realized it was not simulated, and he accepted the colony egg from the alien queen. It was at this point that I believe Ender felt bad for killing the aliens and decided to help the alien species survive. In addition, he then left the Command School, moved to the alien world, and eventually elected mayor. I believe his moving to the planet and being elected mayor was part of the falling action. The resolution was Ender traveling planet-to-planet looking for a place to let the alien egg hatch.
Currently I am reading 2nd Chance by James Patterson. I think that they are figuring out who the shooter was because they not even found any kind of clues or evidence. I think there is a gang involved. I think that everybody part of this case is linked to the person who killed the girl and hung the old woman. I think she is not trusted by other people because she is a girl. I don't know why only one person got killed in a shootout in the front of a church and nobody else was killed. I think they should not tell the press.
From my previous post I said that I am reading "Mockingjay" by Suzanne Collins and that she is now the Mockingjay but president Coin is taking advantage of it because she said if Katniss doesn't win the war for the rebels all the people Katniss loves will die. But both me and Katniss agree that she is being manipulated like she did in the Hunger Games. But to be honest when ever Katniss tries to take control she ends up being a part of someone else game. Also Katniss is hurting the person she love's because she is doing all of this for Petea knowing that Gal loves her.
I am reading The Silver Chair by C. S. Lewis. The book finally hit its exciting moment, and it was so exciting. I was getting tired of all the details in the exposition. In the book there was this one part when Scrubb and Jill got to fly with giant owls, and I am amazed at how much detail C. S. Lewis puts into his books. Once again, he makes me feel like I’m in the world of Narnia. My previous question still has not been answered, what is the Silver Chair? I hope I find out soon because the question is killing me.
I am halfway through the book the Fault in our stars by John Green this book is the best book that I have read. This book Is a story about different people with different types of cancer. In chapter eleven Augustus and Hazel go to Amsterdam to meet an author to find out what happens in the book that hazel read. The author is really mean though he yells at them for no reason and he won’t tell them what happened at the end of the book. During this chapter there is a lot of conflict because of the arguing between the author and Hazel and Augustus.
I’m reading the Serpent’s Shadow by Rick Riordan. Recently in the Serpent's Shadow, Carter Kane visited Thro, the Egyptian God of Wisdom, and he said that they can use the Serpent's Shadow to destroy Apateos. But, it takes another God to destroy the serpent , before he eats the Sun God. Sadie is still in the House of Night and is now walking to pools that are in the shape of IV the old Roman numerals. But, there is still nobody there. They are still searching for Bas, God of Fear. So far, the characters in the novel have not really changed. I’m still enjoying reading the book, but it’s not the best book I’ve ever read.
I am still reading Old Yeller by Fred Gibson. I am still on Chapter 8, and I am still enjoying the novel. Arliss and Travis, the main characters, don`t always get along and don`t always agree. For example,when Old Yeller was eating the meat that they hung outside, Travis planned to kill him, or shoot him. Arliss jumped in the way and shouted.”no,no”! Also, Travis took Arliss hunting and ran around screaming. Travis was mad and yelled at him to be quiet. Sometimes they get along, like when they take care of Old Yeller together They also both help their mom together to man manage the farm,clean,and cook. They are typical brothers in many ways.
I am still reading Old Yeller by Fred Gibson. I am still on Chapter 8, and I am still enjoying the novel. Arliss and Travis, the main characters, don`t always get along and don`t always agree. For example,when Old Yeller was eating the meat that they hung outside, Travis planned to kill him, or shoot him. Arliss jumped in the way and shouted.”no,no”! Also, Travis took Arliss hunting and ran around screaming. Travis was mad and yelled at him to be quiet. Sometimes they get along, like when they take care of Old yeller together They also both help their mom together to man manage the farm,clean,and cook. They are typical brothers in many ways.
I’m still reading enders games Orson Scott card the now he has transferred to army and is a real solider now he used to be in the barracks that were one or two steps away from him being a solider. So when ender got there the leader of the army barrack bonzo and his group of friends were mean to him but he made a friend she’s a girl named Petra and she is one of the best soldiers in the army barrack that he is in because ( they have different army barracks like the wolfs, the salamanders, the knights, etc.) so they were the battle room where they battle against other barracks and his team lost the salamanders because bonzo told him he couldn’t fire his gun so that is all I read so far.
I am reading the “Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters” by Rick Riordan. The book starts out in Percy’s nightmare. His nightmare is of his best friend Grover running way from a monster. This is obviously foreshadowing of something that will happen later in the story. After the nightmare, it is Percy’s last day of school. His mom has this weird obsession with blue food and drink. Something is wrong at camp because when something is wrong, Chiron contacts Percy and Chiron contacted him. Percy notices that something, a human or something, is following him and then vanishing when he looks over. I am excited to continue to read this book.
In this chapter it is a little bit emotional but mostly about concern. They all sit down for dinner and give the best part of the food to the fire for offering to the gods. Percy is wondering who his father is. I am wondering who might the be the god or the father for Percy. After dinner they all go to bed and get ready for capture the flag tomorrow. Percy is on Annabeth’s team or I think because she said “I think I want you on my team”. Annabeth saw how Percy had some strengths. In this chapter it was a bit boring but in the next one it sounds really exciting because it’s about capture the flag. (chapter 8)
I am reading If I Stay by Gayle Forman. In this book the main character is Mia. She got into a car crash that killed Her mom and dad. Her and her brother are the only survivors. She is a ghost and can watch her surroundings. This book is made up of flashbacks and the present. I like this book very much so far. I like it because the main character Mia plays the Cello and I play the viola so I feel a connection with her
In chapter five of The City of Ember, Lina’s granny gets worse. She is leaving stuff around the house and not getting out of bed. Lina is worried about her because she does not know what she’ll do next. Lina is a very caring person. Her granny’s very worried about Lina and wonders what her future might be like. I do like Lina’s character because she is responsible and caring.Lina goes to school and she has some friends. She is overwhelmed with worrying about her granny.The setting of the story takes place in a city that stays dark except for some flood lights on top of the roofs.it’s a really cool setting.
Sadly I have finished the book. I can’t believe that Johnny died especially since he’s only 16 years old. If I were Ponyboy I wouldn’t know what to do with all his friends dying including Darry. I thought the book was pretty good because things like this do happen when social classes start rivalries and fight for no good cause. However Ponyboy found out that there’s no reason to be fighting because things are tough all over no matter how much money you have. I think the worst part was when Dally purposely robbed a store to get the cops called on him and pointed a unloaded gun at police and was shot multiple times.
The book I am reading now is “The Enemy” and it is written by Charlie Higson. At the beginning of the book you get to meet so many characters and the ones that have past. I feel that the book will be good and it will have a lot of drama and narrative hook. The setting is in London when the world has gone mad and the grown-ups become flesh eating zombies. The only ones that become a zombie are kids that are 14 and up, the only thing they eat is the kids that are left out in the road also animals turn it them. The name of the kids that I know at this moment is big Sam, little Sam, curly Sam, Arran, Maxie, and callum, Eve, Johnno, Mohammed, josh, Achilles, freak, and deke. They are the only ones I know right now because I am on chapter 3. This book seems like there will be a lot of action and a lot of moments like you want to cry, but for this book it is worth it. Over all this book will be great to read and it will also be fun to read will a test or quiz.
I’m reading the book The Giver by Lois Lowry and im in chapter fourteen The Giver transmits the memory of another ride on a sled, only this time the sled loses control and Jonas experiences pain and nausea from a badly broken leg. The pain lingers after the experience is over, but the Giver is not allowed to give him relief-of-pain, and Jonas limps home and goes to bed early. Forbidden to share his feelings with his family, he feels isolated, realizing that they have never known intense pain. Over the next days, the Giver transmits more and more painful memories, always ending the day with a memory of pleasure. (110
I am reading The Fault in our Stars by John Green. In chapters six, seven, and eight, the story really starts to get interesting. Hazel talks with her parents about the Amsterdam trip. She also talks about the trip with her doctor, who says that Hazel can go only if her mom comes so that she can still monitor Hazel on her machines and medications. I was really excited for Hazel and really felt like she deserved this trip. Hazel then talked to her friend Kaitlyn on the phone about how excited she was about the trip. I am really excited to find out how Hazel and Augustus’s trip goes. (110 words) Erica Kozmic 1B
In the Red Pyramid the protagonists Sadie and Cater Kane learn that they are hosting Egyptian gods. Cater is hosting Hours (the Egyptian god of war) while Sadie is hosting Isis (the Egyptian god of magic). I love how Rick Riordan (the author) uses the Ancient Egyptians as a great source for his stories. A great example of this is how he uses Cater and Sadie, they are The Blood of the pharaohs which means that they tie up the existence of two of the most powerful bloodlines in Egypt. My favorite part of the book is when they discover their powers and use them for the first time. - Sydni Simpson (114 Words)
The Fault in Our Stars by John Green.(Chapter eight and nine) Chapter eight is about Hazel going to a big cancer meeting to talk about her situation. Also her doctor who held the meeting gave her a hug. I like and think that it was sweet of her to give Hazel a hug to show her support. I also like that everyone who was in the group helped and cared for her cancer situation. I also think it is sad that she was crying because she could not go to Amsterdam with Augustus. I like that in the end of the chapter she gets to go to Amsterdam because Dr. Maria called and told her she could go. She was so excited that she could go on the trip. Chapter nine was about Hazel going back to her support group before the day she goes on the trip. I also like that she went back to her support group. Also there was a girl named Lida who helped her get caught up to date on what she missed since the last time she was there. I thought that it was nice and sweet of Lida to help out Hazel.
Scorch Trails by James Dashner: During my reading, a lot of important things happened the changed the course of the book. Tomas and the others finally made it to the surface and witnessed what has happened to the outside world and Tomas saw Teresa again. Tomas’ relationship with Teresa makes me sad, because she cannot see him for some odd reason. Tomas promises to find her and they kiss, this is a very different topic for the book but it is alright with me. If it isn’t like that the whole time. The Gladers are about to enter their first town since their arrival on the surface, they are starving, tired and hungry.
Today I read the rest of chapter 2. Zev Tito’s neighbor came over to hang out at Tito’s house today. He brought baked potato. His mom said “the best for a boy to do is eat”, Zev is a heavy set boy who doesn’t have many friends. He wear’s glasses and loves to play chess. Anyways Tito and Zev are going outside to play on the swings Mina also came. Then Tito and Mina here the same music they heard the night Jimmy died. Tito ran into the garage and hid Mina behind a bush. Finally the car drove off and Tito came out of the garage and went to get Mina he looked behind the bush then. I will have to keep reading to find out what happened to Mina.
Erak's Ransom by John Flanagan: Since it was decided that the king's daughter was the only one true worthy representative, it was also decided that she would need an escort and Will volunteered. While they were traveling a sandstorm began and during the sandstorm will lost his specially trained horse named Tug. He decided to go look for him and went North according to his compass. However since the Red Hills through which they were traveling was full of iron the compass didn't point to the true West so he got lost and since the horse had his water he lost consciousness. Will is found by a group of nomads found him and Tug and restored him back to health and he has to race for his horse. He wins but barely and now has to find the princess before she reaches the palace.
Hey Ms. Watson, I’m reading chapter 6 in Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick. This chapter is starting to get interesting, Hugo found a handkerchief (tied up and old). He untied it and he found ashes, and he found out that the ashes were his notebook, (his memories). Hugo charged the old man, but he was too quick, and grabbed Hugo’s arms. My opinion is why would the old man do that to his notebook that had his memories in it? The old man told Hugo to get over it and that it was just a notebook, and he told Hugo to “Go Away!” and not see him again. Hugo came back home, went to his bed, and fell asleep to the steady rhythm of the clock, which is a good way to get things off your mind. As I read towards the ending of this chapter, Hugo found a piece of paper, and it said “Meet me at the bookseller’s on the other side of the train station, but that wasn’t all the other of the paper said “Your notebook wasn’t burned. (183 words)
I am reading I am Number Four by Pittacus Lore. John, the main character is continuing to explore his newfound legacies. He has received the legacy Lumen. When he comes in contact with hot items, he does not feel any pain. In Home-ec, he took a 350 degree pan out of the oven with his bare hands, then faked a burn and ran his fingers under some water. When he is nervous or is overcome by anxiety, his hands begin to glow, drawing attention to his non-human-like qualities. He is trying his best to remain under the radar, however after he had several run ins with the most popular jock of the school, and began to like his ex-girlfriend, it is almost impossible to go unnoticed. I think John is going to slip up soon and others will know about his background. I think either Sarah or Mark will find out. If Sarah finds out, I think she will keep it a secret, but if Mark finds out, I think he will use it to blackmail John in some way.
I am currently reading the book "The Inner Circle" by Kate Brian. I am almost done reading this book. The book has been pretty action packed and filled with a lot of drama. Since the setting is at a boarding private school, there is bound to be drama. Reed is the protagonist of the story. Cheyenne is the antagonist of the story. The main conflict is that Reed doesn't want Cheyenne to treat this year like last year (which was a tough year) and do induction ceremonies and decide whether certain girls can room in the exclusive Billing house. Cheyenne also cheated on Reed's boyfriend, which caused even more tension and drama between them. I think that there is still too much drama in the book, and the author's selection of vocabulary isn't that wholesome for a coming of age story. I wonder why the author made certain characters turn out the way that they did. There are many round and dynamic characters in this book. For example Reed has many characteristics and has changed during the course of the book, because she has learned to stick up for herself. This book has been a struggle to read because I don't enjoy it . I probably wouldn't recommend this book to anybody considering the fact that it wasn't too enjoyable for me personally.
I am still reading "A Heart Divided" by Kathleen Morgan. I want to reflect on again, another certain sentence that was a great example of a flashback. "It's up to you now, Sarah.. to be the mother and take care of the family"(Morgan, 145). This was said right before Sarah's mother died, and she is remembering this when trying to save her brother. I think this is very important. Because Sarah's mother died, she was the only girl in the family left. Sarah starts to remember this flashback in desperate times, and it causes her to feel very pressured. Sarah is constantly thinking of that line that her mother said to her the day of her death. I think it is a very big responsibility to give to such a young teenager, like Sarah. She feels like her whole family depends on her, which is a good feeling but also a feeling of pressure. Not only that, but Sarah ends up feeling guilty because he does not think she is living up to her mothers word. I am enjoying this book very much, and I never want it to end!
Hello Ms. Watson. I'm reading Three Graves Full by Jamie Mason. This book is VERY suspenseful. It starts out with a very big narrative hook that is, “There is very little peace for a man with a body buried in his backyard.” Just based on that little snippet of the book I cannot imagine how someone would not want to carry on reading this. The protagonist of this story is a man named Jason Getty. The antagonist in this story is his paranoia and anxiety. A little over a year before the story starts, Jason killed a man. And he didn’t know what to do with the body so he buried him in his backyard, about one hundred feet from his back porch. Personally, I don’t blame Jason for being as paranoid and anxious as he is because if I had killed a man and buried him in my backyard I would be the same way. The narrator states that Jason goes to check up on the ‘integrity of his secret” atleast two times a night. (He goes and checks where he buried the man in his yard to see if you can tell anything is suspicious.) Jason is letting his paranoia and anxiety run his life. I know I have changed my book multiple times before because I have lost interest or it wasn’t the right fit or anything but I can truly tell that THIS is the book that I will stay reading. I really enjoy all the suspense and how kind of “dark” it is. I have always been into mystery books and haunted ghost stories and murders so I know this book sparks my interest.
I just finished reading Bitterblue by Kristan Cashore, which is the third book in the Graceling series. I loved this book to a great extent, it made you think and surprised you in many parts. The main character Bitterblue is a queen of a torn apart kingdom, and most of the book goes in depth about what exactly happened to the kingdom. I really enjoyed how Bitterblue was very good at math and that it was somewhat of a stress reliever for her. Also that she cared about the education of her people and whether or not they could read or write. The author really got your brain thinking in some parts, which made you understand more of the book. There were very many deaths and/or suicides within the plot that, I mostly didn't agree with, involved mostly minor characters at first, then a few important characters toward the end.
I am almost finished with chapter five on the Outbreak by Robert Tine, and the story has gotten pretty good. I liked the part in the climax on that chapter when the guy named Jimbo was driving in a car with a monkey in the cage. I liked that part because Jimbo had the music up so loud that it made the monkey crazy! The monkey got so mad that she spat in Jimbo’s face. Jimbo bought the monkey as a pet, but they aren’t getting along so far. I think what’s going to happen next is that the two of them are going to keep fighting each other and the monkey is going to escape. I think the theme of this chapter would be “Don’t turn up the music when a wild animal is in the car.”
So I am still currently reading "Hatchet" by Gary Paulsen. I am on chapter 10 and noticed some personification that Paulsen used. He talks about a fire being a friend and a guard to protect Brain, the main character. Also, sense we were talking about imagery today in classed, noticed some imagery as well. "...he suddenly came into a small chamber in the cool-damp sand and there lay eggs, many eggs, almost perfectly round eggs the size of table tennis balls..." (Paulsen 94.) Paulsen uses more imagery and personification here as well: "His stomach tightened and rolled and made noise as he looked at the eggs, as if his stomach belonged to somebody else or had seen the eggs with its own eyes and was demanding food." (Paulsen 94.)
I'm reading The Death Cure by James Dashner. Right now in the book Thomas and friends are connecting with a group to bring down WICKED called The Right Arm. Right now I think they'll help the Right Arm because they all have common goal, to bring down WICKED. They plan to blow up the whole complex but I don't really know anymore if they should. I can't tell if WICKED is good or bad anymore. Teresa said it's good, but she betrayed Thomas. So I don't know if WICKED can be trusted or not. I feel like if they do trust them, than they can find a cure for the Flare. But if they choose not to, then they are killing millions of people infected. I don't think, they can be trusted personally, and believe they should blow up the complex and move on with their lives. If they do find a cure, I think Thomas will have to do some crazy trial to get the "results" they need to make a blueprint.
Heartbeat by Sharon Creech. Well I finally finished the book and let me just say this was a very good book kept you on the edge of your seat wanting you to read more and more. so it turns out that the baby ends up living, which is good. The baby's name is joey, so right there you know joey is a boy's name. This baby is a boy. As usual Max and Annie are racing trying to see which one is faster but this time was a little different... Max does not like the new baby. Why?, you might ask your self. He thinks that the family will forget about him, he feels as if he is getting replaced. To cheer Max up grandpa gives Max is running shoes from about thirty years ago. Why would Max want that? One hundred apples!!! Annie shows Grandpa the drawing she took of the apples and Grandpa takes the baby's hand and say's a few things. I don't know if he died after that or not.
This is good, Cris. It seems like you are writing the blog AS you read. I want you to try reading a bit, then writing the blog without looking at the book!
I am reading The House on Mango Street still, by Sandra Cisneros. She is talking about Marin & her boyfriend that lives in Puerto Rico. That is Louie's cousin, they live downstairs from Esperanza family. So Marin's boyfriend is in Puerto Rico. He writes her letters and their getting married when she goes back to P.R, but she says not to tell anyone. Hmm? Sounds like she trying to hide it and if so why? Does the family not like him? Her boyfriend doesn't have a job, but she selling Avon and saving up for the both of them. Is it hard to get a job in P.R. Or is he just lazy? This CH. about Marin to me is pointless. I don't see what it has to do about the book to be honest. I really don't think it belongs-kind of has me thinking why put this in The House on Mango Street? What was the point of this? Leaves me confused.
My book was the Fault in Our Stars by John Green. I just finished the book and it was really sad at the end, but touching. I actually thought that Hazel was going to die, but I think she became even stronger. I think that it was weird that she told him his eulogy when he was alive. He did ask for her to tell him, but I think would have made me become depressed to know I’m about to die. Not only that, she decided to not say the eulogy that she revealed him because she already told him. When she walked to her car and cried, I also cried with her because it was touching to see them throughout this book have so much love at a young age. I know I’m young, yet I know there is such thing as love and I thought this was the best book ever because it showed the meaning of that strong word. If it was just about love, I wouldn’t be impressed, however, it was a book about a young couple both fighting against cancer and that was amazing because it told me about how it was living with cancer and being depressed because they will die someday and never found someone. I hope John Green will write more books because he is so creative with writing and I love it! I can’t wait to read more romance and compassionate books. (240 words)
This week, I am reading the Maze Runner by James Dashner. So far, Thomas is very confused and isn't getting answers to his questions. Thomas jut saw runners come out of the maze and also saw the maze close. When the maze closed, a huge rock wall slid over so no one could go in or get out. I wonder how that huge wall was able to move like that. I think that there might be humans behind the maze controlling it because it isn't natural for a wall that size to move by itself. I also wonder if Thomas is going to go into the maze in the future. Although this book is a little confusing, it is really good! (121 words)
Hachet Gary Paulsen Brain imagens his friend and misses playing with him at the park. He needs to find a place for shelter, and he needs to find food. He eats some red berries to ease the hunger. Brian imagines and building on fire from matchets and remembers that he needs to build a shelter. He falls asleep from the nautia of the berries. I think that this story is filled suspense and survival. I think that this would be a good book for everybody and is bery excting. I hope Brian survives
I’m reading If I Stay by: Gayle Forman So, right now Adam finally got in to see Mia. Adam wants Mia to stay but Mia knows she can’t. She does not want to leave Adam behind which I get, but when she wakes up she will have no family so, I see why she would want to go. She likes the fact that her grandpa was telling her it’s okay to leave but, it’s all up to her weather she will or not. Adam tells her “please don’t make me write a song for you” because he only writes songs about sad things and his feelings. Mia really doesn’t want to leave him now but still feels it’s better if she goes. When Adam left he was really sad and still having a hard time with everything. Mia’s family is all really sad because she is the only one left and of course they all want her to stay. I think she should stay because she still has family that does not want her to go. She will be leaving all of them behind and they should have at least one person that did make it instead of no one.
The Maze Runner By: James Dashner The last blog ended when Thomas entered the maze to try to run from Teresa’s telepathy. When Thomas returned, he spends the day in the Slammer. After the day is up, Minho retrieves Thomas and they enter the Maze. Thomas sees what WCKD means on a plaque in the Maze, “World in Catastrophe: Killzone Experiment Department. Thomas also can not get the words out of his head when Teresa spoke telepathically, “Tom, I just triggered the Ending.” I am wondering what the Ending is, I think it must have something to do with forcing the Gladers to enter the maze. The sun not visible when Thomas wakes, but Thomas and Minho enter the Maze anyway, they go at steady pace until they see a Griver around a corner. They follow the Griever until it disappears off the Cliff into the abyss. Minho and Thomas leave to tell the Gladers of the possible escape, the Griever Hole. However, just as they told everyone, Teresa woke and she telepathically spoke to Thomas saying, “ The Maze is a code Tom, The Maze is a code.” Does this mean that the Maze is a message? Is it a way out?
Title: The Hunt for Red October Author: Tom Clancy Name: Matthew Fowler
Just like the week before I got to experience a little bit more of what this book has to offer. I learned a whole new side to Captain Ramius that I hadn’t learned about him from the movie. It explained his childhood and how his actions led up to him joining the soviet the union and becoming a pristine naval captain. Also Jack has showed the CIA the pictures of the Red October and he is then appointed to find the submarine. He then flies to a aircraft carrier which could possibly be in the same area with the Red October. Finally, he finds out that a submarine named USS Dallas has been tracking seismic activity in which Jack automatically suspects that they are really detecting the Red October. This week read was really good compared to others because like I said in the past I enjoy to hear the side stories and I got a really good one on Captain Ramius. Other then that it still followed the movie very well except for few parts which made it even more enjoyable.
I am reading Summer of my German Soldier by Bette Greene. The characters include: President Roosevelt, Patty, Ruth, Sharon, Father, Mother, Grandma, and Grandpa. I haven’t gotten very far, but so far it is a great book. The time period is during when the Nazis were killing the Jews. Patty is a skinny girl, which in her time wasn’t attractive. Her mom doesn’t seem to pay much attention to her. In a way, the mom seems to have a favorite, her little sister Sharon. So already, I have felt sympathy towards Patty. I do not understand why back then you could not show interest in your child if they were skinny. By, Grace K. Ehlers
The book that I finished reading was called Wonder by R.J Palacio. As I thought, the ending was very positive and cheerful, as August finishes his first year of school. Throughout the book, I think August changed the most, from growing out of his Star Wars addiction to learning how to just be himself and to know that he's as normal as anyone else. I loved how during the whole camping trip, Henry and Miles, two people that weren't very kind to August at school, actually stood up for him and helped him when he was getting bullied by seventh graders. It leaves the impression of "knowing they have your back" feel to it, and made me happy to see that even though they were mean to him at first, they had decided to make that decision and help him. I think that the whole book overall is a great book because it shows that in the end, it doesn't matter about your appearance, but about the kind of person you are inside.
This week I am reading Eragon. When Eragon found the mysterious "stone" in the woods, I would have done what he did and take it home. I would not have taken it to the traveling merchants and try to sell it though, I would have kept it just because it was perfectly round and had a smoothed texture. When the stone turned out to be a dragon egg and hatched, I would have tried to keep it secret like Eragon at first, then try to tell the people I trust the most about it. These were my thoughts about the first few chapters of the book Eragon by Christopher Paolini.
I've been reading If I Stay by Gayle Forman. Mia is doing better and has been moved to a more open room; so people will be able to visit her. Her grandparents saw her and started to cry. The doctors told them about her injuries inside her body are worse than the outside ones. I’m still confused why nobody told Adam about what had happened. I would've thought that a family member or even Kim would've called him. Anyway, Mia starts talking about how Adam and she went trick-or-treating together for the first time. After that they went to Adam’s concert and Mia dresses like a total rock and roll girl just to impress Adam and make other girls jealous. I’m still dying to know what happened to Teddy and where Adam is!
I am still reading An Abundance of Katherines by John Green. So far in the story they are on the road trip and they have passed the Largest Wooden Crucifix already and were still driving along. On there way Colin saw a sign that said "Exit 212- see the grave of Archduke Franz Ferdinand- The Corpse that started World War I" and Colin was interested in it and told Hassan about it, if that were me I would have not wanted to see a dead corpse because that is not really interesting to me. So they went to a Hardee's at Exit 212 and Colin called his mother saying they were in Carver County, Tennessee. After that they ate food and then asked for directions to see Archduke Ferdinands corpse, which the lady there referred to as Gutshot. So they followed her directions and headed towards Gutshot, Tennessee that only had a population of 864 which is really small amount for a town. They met a girl there at a store by the name of Lindsey Lee Wells, and she was a tour guide apparently. Skipping ahead because this chapter had a lot of information and things happening, so they are walking to the grave of Archduke Ferdinand and Colin trips over something and falls flat on his face because I am guessing his reflexes did not activate so he like fell flat on his face and he has glasses which is even worse because it causes more damage so bad luck for him. After that he says he fell, which is pretty obvious, and he was bleeding and his vision was blury. So Lindsey Lee Wells was luckily a paramedic in training, what a concidence, so she helped put pressure on his head where it was bleeding. She left to get help so Hassan put pressure on the bleeding when she left and soon after that he passed out. THEN it went to a flashback of when Katherine the nineteenth dumped him and well, let's just say it was pretty harsh. I think this chapter was fairly longer than the others but I still enjoyed it very much. The use of imagery was used really well in this chapter, and the flow of the novel is going really well and keeping my interest.
WOW that's a long blog! You gave me a little bit of your own ideas at the end, but I was the blog to be MOSTLY your own ideas. Remember that next time, okay?
I am reading "The True Meaning of Smekday" By Adam Rex. I have so many questions that need to be answered. I am left on a cliffhanger where Gratuity and J.Lo are being chased by police Boov through an abandoned Florida city. They keep barely escaping and it is making me curious if they will be captured or not. They recently found out that all of the Americans have been moved from Florida to Arizona because the Boov decided they wanted to keep Florida due to the Oranges. This book is keeping me on the edge of my seat and continues to surprise me by every word I read.
Kyle Oldham, Violets are Blue, by James Patterson. This blog will be about chapters 17 and 18. In these two chapters it is from a vampire’s point of view. The vampires are brothers and they have a big part in all the killing that have just happened recently and in the past. I think they work for the mastermind, speaking of the mastermind he hasn’t been talked about in the book as much right now I wander why? Maybe because he doesn’t have time to call Alex because he is out killing people. In chapter 18 the vampires go in a funeral home and go into the part where the bodies are and they drink one middle aged woman’s blood and they tell her course that she is worth of them and they are worthy of her I think that part was kind of weird.
I've tried to oost this 3 different times. Sorry if you get lots of copies. I am reading Rascal by Sterling North. It is about a little boy living during the World War I time period. Hi is eleven years old at the start of the book and he has had a hard time dealing with the loss of his mom. His father is having a hard time as well so he works and travels a lot. The little boy does whatever he wants to do. He has older brothers and sisters but they don't have time for him. One of them is off fighting in the war. The others are older and are in college or starting their own families. The little boy is very lonely and he loves animals. He has many strange pets. His neighbors do not like them. He has skunks, a crow, minnows, and Rascal. Rascal is a raccoon that he found in his nest. He raised him and lets him sleep in the bed and eat at the kitchen table. His dad doesn't mind. I'm sure my mom would not let any Rascal sleep in the bed and definitely not eat at the table. The church actually forces him to get rid of some of his pets because they interrupt church service one day. The story is set up like a journal so that we know what's going on over a period of time. It even has updates about what's going on in the war. It mentions meatless, sweetless, wheatless days that I remember from US history. The little boy loves Rascal and I hope nothing happens to him.
Beatiful Creatures by kami and garcia & Margaret stofh. So They snuck into a castle where they found caster like witches and warlocks. ethan Thought she was crazy when she expolained to him what type of casters they were. He also hangs out with her alot more often then he usally did lossing his spot in popularity and his friends, he hasn't been turned into a vampire yet. So he is safe for now. He also saves her from the cliff/ fall and some keywords are cineplex in the next post ill have a defetion for you guys. Thats all for today
I'm Reading Chasing Vermeer by Brett Helquist. I picked this book because it has to do with art and I love art though I may not be the best but I'm not bad too. In the book a famous piece of art gets stolen. At the beginning of the book the author seems to just jump in to everything all at once. I'm at the beginning of chapter 5 in other words I just got on to the chapter. The main character is named Petra, she's smart with a sense of humor, she reminds me of my friend Trotsky so i can somewhat relate to her. The book is amazing but through out the first couple of chapters you have to read between the lines, it may not seem like that to other people but it seems like that to me. I gues that I'm just different.
I am still reading The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho. He is now in the desert. There were cries of children and whimpering of animals. Hot and windy, there were animals and not that much noise though. This part describes the dessert so great. The desert is so hot and really large. It is super windy too! There were rocky areas and dried-up lakes. There was a camel and Santiago was friends with the camel’s rider. They talk about you don’t have to lose what you have when you love somewhere. If it’s our passions or life, you can still have that in your life. They also talk about desert stories. Anastasia Ehlers
I am still reading The Exorcist by William Peter Blatty. The book is starting to really get more intense, as I am at the middle. At this point in the book Regan has been sent to a mental hospital where they can study her behavior. I can feel the stress given from the character Chris, this book has a lot of imagery just like we learned about in class today. I start feeling sad, like Im in the book really, and its just great. This book continues to give me chills and it really gives me a spooky feeling like someone is watching me, and thats really quite a rush for me, since I don't get scared easily by things like movies and especially books.
My continuous reading of Just Another Hero by Sharon Draper. Arielle and November have grudge between one another and finds it hard to relate because of how their past relationship ended with Arielle's behavior in which she was rude and ignorant of what November was chronicly going through by . I don't comply of why Arielle would do such to her friend I mean if I were in her shoes and found out my friend was pregnant I won't make a fun out of her but will first find out how she got into that mess and why, what caused it to happen if she blamed it on her boyfriend then i 'd if told her not to ever get a boyfriend like that who doesn't respect your standards and have some self respect as well this is a polite and reasonable way of addressing the matter, I feel.
Princess, it sounds like you are trying to make your writing sound more formal than it needs to be. Next week, try writing the way you speak and then we will take it from there!
My book is Theodore Boone: The Activist by John Grisham. Theo has learned of a new city bypass that will cost a lot of money (200 million). Theo has also heard that many houses will be torn down to make way for this Bypass. I know that this is a bad idea, but the people funding it will make the governor very, very rich. It will also cause run right by an elementary school, but that won’t stop the city. I think that Theo should get a crowd together and use his amazing debate skills to fight it. I want to see him snoop around and find some secrets of the city. My opinion is that Theo is a debate heavy leader and i know he will not bow down to the bypass. (sorry for it being late)
I am reading the book FADE by Lisa Mcmann. This week in reading was very good and kept me very much wanting more. The way she keeps you interested in the story is amazing. Mcmann's way of doing this is by involving other minor conflicts along with the story. These minor conflicts may not seem big at the time but as the story progresses you start to see more and more of these minor things make their way into the main plot and it may even change the outcome of the story.
Further into the book, after Megs’ dilemma with the void. Suddenly things got even stranger. Apparently, Meg and company can perform interstellar travel in only a few seconds. To me this is kind of cool but insane because it seems impossible to travel that distance in the short amount of time, but they did explain how they traveled this fast in the book. They said it wasn't really traveling there as it is teleporting there through thing called a tesser, relating to the word Tesseract, which is how they traveled this distance. On further reading in this section one of the three women turned Into a magical unicorn sort of thing with rainbow wings, needless to say it gets really interesting in this spot and I can't wait to read more.
I am reading Divergent by Veronica Roth. Right now I am at the part where the main character Tris is awoken by her "friends" getting dressed. She try's to ask what is going on, but she gets no reply. She figures out that it is a simulation and mimicks what the others are doing. When they walk out to the train she finds Tobias. She walks up to him and presses his hand against hers he grips her hand fermly this is how Tris knew that Tobias was also a Divergent. This is a very god book and i am really enjoying it.
This week I finished reading Enders Game, by Orson Scott Card. Ender arrived at the Command School. This and the alien planet are the final settings in the book. The purpose of the command school was to determine if Ender was ready to battle the aliens so this section was full of conflict.
ReplyDeleteAfter Ender arrived at the Command School, the instructors started teaching him to prepare for battle by having him do practice battles. The instructors told him that this would allow them to determine if he was ready for battle. He later discovered that these were not practice battles but he was actually killing aliens. Ender did not discover this until after the final battle. I believe that Ender was the protagonist and that Colonel Graf is the antagonist. Some may argue that the aliens were the antagonist. I believe that it was the Colonel because he convinced Ender to join the training, lied to Ender telling him the practice missions are simulated, and used Ender to destroy the aliens.
I believe the climax of the story happened when Ender killed all of the aliens, realized it was not simulated, and he accepted the colony egg from the alien queen. It was at this point that I believe Ender felt bad for killing the aliens and decided to help the alien species survive. In addition, he then left the Command School, moved to the alien world, and eventually elected mayor. I believe his moving to the planet and being elected mayor was part of the falling action. The resolution was Ender traveling planet-to-planet looking for a place to let the alien egg hatch.
Fantastic post, Daniel!
DeleteCurrently I am reading 2nd Chance by James Patterson. I think that they are figuring out who the shooter was because they not even found any kind of clues or evidence. I think there is a gang involved. I think that everybody part of this case is linked to the person who killed the girl and hung the old woman. I think she is not trusted by other people because she is a girl. I don't know why only one person got killed in a shootout in the front of a church and nobody else was killed. I think they should not tell the press.
ReplyDeleteFrom my previous post I said that I am reading "Mockingjay" by Suzanne Collins and that she is now the Mockingjay but president Coin is taking advantage of it because she said if Katniss doesn't win the war for the rebels all the people Katniss loves will die. But both me and Katniss agree that she is being manipulated like she did in the Hunger Games. But to be honest when ever Katniss tries to take control she ends up being a part of someone else game. Also Katniss is hurting the person she love's because she is doing all of this for Petea knowing that Gal loves her.
ReplyDeleteI am reading The Silver Chair by C. S. Lewis. The book finally hit its exciting moment, and it was so exciting. I was getting tired of all the details in the exposition. In the book there was this one part when Scrubb and Jill got to fly with giant owls, and I am amazed at how much detail C. S. Lewis puts into his books. Once again, he makes me feel like I’m in the world of Narnia. My previous question still has not been answered, what is the Silver Chair? I hope I find out soon because the question is killing me.
ReplyDeleteI am halfway through the book the Fault in our stars by John Green this book is the best book that I have read. This book Is a story about different people with different types of cancer. In chapter eleven Augustus and Hazel go to Amsterdam to meet an author to find out what happens in the book that hazel read. The author is really mean though he yells at them for no reason and he won’t tell them what happened at the end of the book. During this chapter there is a lot of conflict because of the arguing between the author and Hazel and Augustus.
ReplyDeleteLet me hear more you!
DeleteI’m reading the Serpent’s Shadow by Rick Riordan. Recently in the Serpent's Shadow, Carter Kane visited Thro, the Egyptian God of Wisdom, and he said that they can use the Serpent's Shadow to destroy Apateos. But, it takes another God to destroy the serpent , before he eats the Sun God. Sadie is still in the House of Night and is now walking to pools that are in the shape of IV the old Roman numerals. But, there is still nobody there. They are still searching for Bas, God of Fear. So far, the characters in the novel have not really changed. I’m still enjoying reading the book, but it’s not the best book I’ve ever read.
ReplyDeleteLess summary, more you!
DeleteI am still reading Old Yeller by Fred Gibson. I am still on Chapter 8, and I am still enjoying the novel. Arliss and Travis, the main characters, don`t always get along and don`t always agree. For example,when Old Yeller was eating the meat that they hung outside, Travis planned to kill him, or shoot him. Arliss jumped in the way and shouted.”no,no”! Also, Travis took Arliss hunting and ran around screaming. Travis was mad and yelled at him to be quiet. Sometimes they get along, like when they take care of Old Yeller together They also both help their mom together to man manage the farm,clean,and cook. They are typical brothers in many ways.
ReplyDeleteI am still reading Old Yeller by Fred Gibson. I am still on Chapter 8, and I am still enjoying the novel. Arliss and Travis, the main characters, don`t always get along and don`t always agree. For example,when Old Yeller was eating the meat that they hung outside, Travis planned to kill him, or shoot him. Arliss jumped in the way and shouted.”no,no”! Also, Travis took Arliss hunting and ran around screaming. Travis was mad and yelled at him to be quiet. Sometimes they get along, like when they take care of Old yeller together They also both help their mom together to man manage the farm,clean,and cook. They are typical brothers in many ways.
ReplyDeleteI’m still reading enders games Orson Scott card the now he has transferred to army and is a real solider now he used to be in the barracks that were one or two steps away from him being a solider. So when ender got there the leader of the army barrack bonzo and his group of friends were mean to him but he made a friend she’s a girl named Petra and she is one of the best soldiers in the army barrack that he is in because ( they have different army barracks like the wolfs, the salamanders, the knights, etc.) so they were the battle room where they battle against other barracks and his team lost the salamanders because bonzo told him he couldn’t fire his gun so that is all I read so far.
ReplyDeleteAll summary, Josiah. Let me hear your voice!
DeleteI am reading the “Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters” by Rick Riordan. The book starts out in Percy’s nightmare. His nightmare is of his best friend Grover running way from a monster. This is obviously foreshadowing of something that will happen later in the story. After the nightmare, it is Percy’s last day of school. His mom has this weird obsession with blue food and drink. Something is wrong at camp because when something is wrong, Chiron contacts Percy and Chiron contacted him. Percy notices that something, a human or something, is following him and then vanishing when he looks over. I am excited to continue to read this book.
ReplyDeleteMore Rissa, please!
DeleteIn this chapter it is a little bit emotional but mostly about concern. They all sit down for dinner and give the best part of the food to the fire for offering to the gods. Percy is wondering who his father is. I am wondering who might the be the god or the father for Percy. After dinner they all go to bed and get ready for capture the flag tomorrow. Percy is on Annabeth’s team or I think because she said “I think I want you on my team”. Annabeth saw how Percy had some strengths. In this chapter it was a bit boring but in the next one it sounds really exciting because it’s about capture the flag. (chapter 8)
ReplyDeleteTitle and author?
DeleteI am reading If I Stay by Gayle Forman. In this book the main character is Mia. She got into a car crash that killed Her mom and dad. Her and her brother are the only survivors. She is a ghost and can watch her surroundings. This book is made up of flashbacks and the present. I like this book very much so far. I like it because the main character Mia plays the Cello and I play the viola so I feel a connection with her
ReplyDeleteCheck your word count!
DeleteIn chapter five of The City of Ember, Lina’s granny gets worse. She is leaving stuff around the house and not getting out of bed. Lina is worried about her because she does not know what she’ll do next. Lina is a very caring person. Her granny’s very worried about Lina and wonders what her future might be like. I do like Lina’s character because she is responsible and caring.Lina goes to school and she has some friends. She is overwhelmed with worrying about her granny.The setting of the story takes place in a city that stays dark except for some flood lights on top of the roofs.it’s a really cool setting.
ReplyDeleteGreat ideas. Who is your author?
DeleteSadly I have finished the book. I can’t believe that Johnny died especially since he’s only 16 years old. If I were Ponyboy I wouldn’t know what to do with all his friends dying including Darry. I thought the book was pretty good because things like this do happen when social classes start rivalries and fight for no good cause. However Ponyboy found out that there’s no reason to be fighting because things are tough all over no matter how much money you have. I think the worst part was when Dally purposely robbed a store to get the cops called on him and pointed a unloaded gun at police and was shot multiple times.
ReplyDeleteTitle and author? I'm so glad you liked it!
DeleteThe book I am reading now is “The Enemy” and it is written by Charlie Higson. At the beginning of the book you get to meet so many characters and the ones that have past. I feel that the book will be good and it will have a lot of drama and narrative hook. The setting is in London when the world has gone mad and the grown-ups become flesh eating zombies. The only ones that become a zombie are kids that are 14 and up, the only thing they eat is the kids that are left out in the road also animals turn it them. The name of the kids that I know at this moment is big Sam, little Sam, curly Sam, Arran, Maxie, and callum, Eve, Johnno, Mohammed, josh, Achilles, freak, and deke. They are the only ones I know right now because I am on chapter 3. This book seems like there will be a lot of action and a lot of moments like you want to cry, but for this book it is worth it. Over all this book will be great to read and it will also be fun to read will a test or quiz.
ReplyDeleteI’m reading the book The Giver by Lois Lowry and im in chapter fourteen The Giver transmits the memory of another ride on a sled, only this time the sled loses control and Jonas experiences pain and nausea from a badly broken leg. The pain lingers after the experience is over, but the Giver is not allowed to give him relief-of-pain, and Jonas limps home and goes to bed early. Forbidden to share his feelings with his family, he feels isolated, realizing that they have never known intense pain. Over the next days, the Giver transmits more and more painful memories, always ending the day with a memory of pleasure. (110
ReplyDeleteI am reading The Fault in our Stars by John Green. In chapters six, seven, and eight, the story really starts to get interesting. Hazel talks with her parents about the Amsterdam trip. She also talks about the trip with her doctor, who says that Hazel can go only if her mom comes so that she can still monitor Hazel on her machines and medications. I was really excited for Hazel and really felt like she deserved this trip. Hazel then talked to her friend Kaitlyn on the phone about how excited she was about the trip. I am really excited to find out how Hazel and Augustus’s trip goes. (110 words) Erica Kozmic 1B
ReplyDeleteIn the Red Pyramid the protagonists Sadie and Cater Kane learn that they are hosting Egyptian gods. Cater is hosting Hours (the Egyptian god of war) while Sadie is hosting Isis (the Egyptian god of magic). I love how Rick Riordan (the author) uses the Ancient Egyptians as a great source for his stories. A great example of this is how he uses Cater and Sadie, they are The Blood of the pharaohs which means that they tie up the existence of two of the most powerful bloodlines in Egypt. My favorite part of the book is when they discover their powers and use them for the first time.
ReplyDelete- Sydni Simpson (114 Words)
The Fault in Our Stars by John Green.(Chapter eight and nine) Chapter eight is about Hazel going to a big cancer meeting to talk about her situation. Also her doctor who held the meeting gave her a hug. I like and think that it was sweet of her to give Hazel a hug to show her support. I also like that everyone who was in the group helped and cared for her cancer situation. I also think it is sad that she was crying because she could not go to Amsterdam with Augustus. I like that in the end of the chapter she gets to go to Amsterdam because Dr. Maria called and told her she could go. She was so excited that she could go on the trip. Chapter nine was about Hazel going back to her support group before the day she goes on the trip. I also like that she went back to her support group. Also there was a girl named Lida who helped her get caught up to date on what she missed since the last time she was there. I thought that it was nice and sweet of Lida to help out Hazel.
ReplyDeleteScorch Trails by James Dashner: During my reading, a lot of important things happened the changed the course of the book. Tomas and the others finally made it to the surface and witnessed what has happened to the outside world and Tomas saw Teresa again. Tomas’ relationship with Teresa makes me sad, because she cannot see him for some odd reason. Tomas promises to find her and they kiss, this is a very different topic for the book but it is alright with me. If it isn’t like that the whole time. The Gladers are about to enter their first town since their arrival on the surface, they are starving, tired and hungry.
ReplyDeleteDrive-By
ReplyDeleteBy: Harper Trophy
Today I read the rest of chapter 2. Zev Tito’s neighbor came over to hang out at Tito’s house today. He brought baked potato. His mom said “the best for a boy to do is eat”, Zev is a heavy set boy who doesn’t have many friends. He wear’s glasses and loves to play chess. Anyways Tito and Zev are going outside to play on the swings Mina also came. Then Tito and Mina here the same music they heard the night Jimmy died. Tito ran into the garage and hid Mina behind a bush. Finally the car drove off and Tito came out of the garage and went to get Mina he looked behind the bush then. I will have to keep reading to find out what happened to Mina.
CJ Moore
9/18/14
4B
CJ, I need to hear more of your own ideas about what is happening in the book and less summary, please!
DeleteErak's Ransom by John Flanagan:
ReplyDeleteSince it was decided that the king's daughter was the only one true worthy representative, it was also decided that she would need an escort and Will volunteered. While they were traveling a sandstorm began and during the sandstorm will lost his specially trained horse named Tug. He decided to go look for him and went North according to his compass. However since the Red Hills through which they were traveling was full of iron the compass didn't point to the true West so he got lost and since the horse had his water he lost consciousness. Will is found by a group of nomads found him and Tug and restored him back to health and he has to race for his horse. He wins but barely and now has to find the princess before she reaches the palace.
Josh, this is all summary! I need to hear your thoughts.
DeleteHey Ms. Watson, I’m reading chapter 6 in Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick. This chapter is starting to get interesting, Hugo found a handkerchief (tied up and old). He untied it and he found ashes, and he found out that the ashes were his notebook, (his memories). Hugo charged the old man, but he was too quick, and grabbed Hugo’s arms. My opinion is why would the old man do that to his notebook that had his memories in it? The old man told Hugo to get over it and that it was just a notebook, and he told Hugo to “Go Away!” and not see him again. Hugo came back home, went to his bed, and fell asleep to the steady rhythm of the clock, which is a good way to get things off your mind. As I read towards the ending of this chapter, Hugo found a piece of paper, and it said “Meet me at the bookseller’s on the other side of the train station, but that wasn’t all the other of the paper said “Your notebook wasn’t burned. (183 words)
ReplyDeleteI am reading I am Number Four by Pittacus Lore. John, the main character is continuing to explore his newfound legacies. He has received the legacy Lumen. When he comes in contact with hot items, he does not feel any pain. In Home-ec, he took a 350 degree pan out of the oven with his bare hands, then faked a burn and ran his fingers under some water. When he is nervous or is overcome by anxiety, his hands begin to glow, drawing attention to his non-human-like qualities. He is trying his best to remain under the radar, however after he had several run ins with the most popular jock of the school, and began to like his ex-girlfriend, it is almost impossible to go unnoticed. I think John is going to slip up soon and others will know about his background. I think either Sarah or Mark will find out. If Sarah finds out, I think she will keep it a secret, but if Mark finds out, I think he will use it to blackmail John in some way.
ReplyDeleteI am currently reading the book "The Inner Circle" by Kate Brian. I am almost done reading this book. The book has been pretty action packed and filled with a lot of drama. Since the setting is at a boarding private school, there is bound to be drama. Reed is the protagonist of the story. Cheyenne is the antagonist of the story. The main conflict is that Reed doesn't want Cheyenne to treat this year like last year (which was a tough year) and do induction ceremonies and decide whether certain girls can room in the exclusive Billing house. Cheyenne also cheated on Reed's boyfriend, which caused even more tension and drama between them. I think that there is still too much drama in the book, and the author's selection of vocabulary isn't that wholesome for a coming of age story. I wonder why the author made certain characters turn out the way that they did. There are many round and dynamic characters in this book. For example Reed has many characteristics and has changed during the course of the book, because she has learned to stick up for herself. This book has been a struggle to read because I don't enjoy it . I probably wouldn't recommend this book to anybody considering the fact that it wasn't too enjoyable for me personally.
ReplyDeleteVery good post, Lydia!
DeleteI am still reading "A Heart Divided" by Kathleen Morgan. I want to reflect on again, another certain sentence that was a great example of a flashback. "It's up to you now, Sarah.. to be the mother and take care of the family"(Morgan, 145). This was said right before Sarah's mother died, and she is remembering this when trying to save her brother. I think this is very important. Because Sarah's mother died, she was the only girl in the family left. Sarah starts to remember this flashback in desperate times, and it causes her to feel very pressured. Sarah is constantly thinking of that line that her mother said to her the day of her death. I think it is a very big responsibility to give to such a young teenager, like Sarah. She feels like her whole family depends on her, which is a good feeling but also a feeling of pressure. Not only that, but Sarah ends up feeling guilty because he does not think she is living up to her mothers word. I am enjoying this book very much, and I never want it to end!
ReplyDeleteGreat post!!!
DeleteHello Ms. Watson. I'm reading Three Graves Full by Jamie Mason.
ReplyDeleteThis book is VERY suspenseful. It starts out with a very big narrative hook that is, “There is very little peace for a man with a body buried in his backyard.” Just based on that little snippet of the book I cannot imagine how someone would not want to carry on reading this. The protagonist of this story is a man named Jason Getty. The antagonist in this story is his paranoia and anxiety. A little over a year before the story starts, Jason killed a man. And he didn’t know what to do with the body so he buried him in his backyard, about one hundred feet from his back porch. Personally, I don’t blame Jason for being as paranoid and anxious as he is because if I had killed a man and buried him in my backyard I would be the same way. The narrator states that Jason goes to check up on the ‘integrity of his secret” atleast two times a night. (He goes and checks where he buried the man in his yard to see if you can tell anything is suspicious.) Jason is letting his paranoia and anxiety run his life. I know I have changed my book multiple times before because I have lost interest or it wasn’t the right fit or anything but I can truly tell that THIS is the book that I will stay reading. I really enjoy all the suspense and how kind of “dark” it is. I have always been into mystery books and haunted ghost stories and murders so I know this book sparks my interest.
I'm so glad you found one you liked a lot!
DeleteI just finished reading Bitterblue by Kristan Cashore, which is the third book in the Graceling series. I loved this book to a great extent, it made you think and surprised you in many parts. The main character Bitterblue is a queen of a torn apart kingdom, and most of the book goes in depth about what exactly happened to the kingdom. I really enjoyed how Bitterblue was very good at math and that it was somewhat of a stress reliever for her. Also that she cared about the education of her people and whether or not they could read or write. The author really got your brain thinking in some parts, which made you understand more of the book. There were very many deaths and/or suicides within the plot that, I mostly didn't agree with, involved mostly minor characters at first, then a few important characters toward the end.
ReplyDeleteI am almost finished with chapter five on the Outbreak by Robert Tine, and the story has gotten pretty good. I liked the part in the climax on that chapter when the guy named Jimbo was driving in a car with a monkey in the cage. I liked that part because Jimbo had the music up so loud that it made the monkey crazy! The monkey got so mad that she spat in Jimbo’s face. Jimbo bought the monkey as a pet, but they aren’t getting along so far. I think what’s going to happen next is that the two of them are going to keep fighting each other and the monkey is going to escape. I think the theme of this chapter would be “Don’t turn up the music when a wild animal is in the car.”
ReplyDeleteSo I am still currently reading "Hatchet" by Gary Paulsen. I am on chapter 10 and noticed some personification that Paulsen used. He talks about a fire being a friend and a guard to protect Brain, the main character. Also, sense we were talking about imagery today in classed, noticed some imagery as well. "...he suddenly came into a small chamber in the cool-damp sand and there lay eggs, many eggs, almost perfectly round eggs the size of table tennis balls..." (Paulsen 94.) Paulsen uses more imagery and personification here as well: "His stomach tightened and rolled and made noise as he looked at the eggs, as if his stomach belonged to somebody else or had seen the eggs with its own eyes and was demanding food." (Paulsen 94.)
ReplyDeleteEXCELLENT post, Devin!
DeleteI'm reading The Death Cure by James Dashner. Right now in the book Thomas and friends are connecting with a group to bring down WICKED called The Right Arm. Right now I think they'll help the Right Arm because they all have common goal, to bring down WICKED. They plan to blow up the whole complex but I don't really know anymore if they should. I can't tell if WICKED is good or bad anymore. Teresa said it's good, but she betrayed Thomas. So I don't know if WICKED can be trusted or not. I feel like if they do trust them, than they can find a cure for the Flare. But if they choose not to, then they are killing millions of people infected. I don't think, they can be trusted personally, and believe they should blow up the complex and move on with their lives. If they do find a cure, I think Thomas will have to do some crazy trial to get the "results" they need to make a blueprint.
ReplyDeleteHeartbeat by Sharon Creech. Well I finally finished the book and let me just say this was a very good book kept you on the edge of your seat wanting you to read more and more. so it turns out that the baby ends up living, which is good. The baby's name is joey, so right there you know joey is a boy's name. This baby is a boy. As usual Max and Annie are racing trying to see which one is faster but this time was a little different... Max does not like the new baby. Why?, you might ask your self. He thinks that the family will forget about him, he feels as if he is getting replaced. To cheer Max up grandpa gives Max is running shoes from about thirty years ago. Why would Max want that? One hundred apples!!! Annie shows Grandpa the drawing she took of the apples and Grandpa takes the baby's hand and say's a few things. I don't know if he died after that or not.
ReplyDeleteThis is good, Cris. It seems like you are writing the blog AS you read. I want you to try reading a bit, then writing the blog without looking at the book!
DeleteI am reading The House on Mango Street still, by Sandra Cisneros. She is talking about Marin & her boyfriend that lives in Puerto Rico. That is Louie's cousin, they live downstairs from Esperanza family. So Marin's boyfriend is in Puerto Rico. He writes her letters and their getting married when she goes back to P.R, but she says not to tell anyone. Hmm? Sounds like she trying to hide it and if so why? Does the family not like him? Her boyfriend doesn't have a job, but she selling Avon and saving up for the both of them. Is it hard to get a job in P.R. Or is he just lazy? This CH. about Marin to me is pointless. I don't see what it has to do about the book to be honest. I really don't think it belongs-kind of has me thinking why put this in The House on Mango Street? What was the point of this? Leaves me confused.
ReplyDeleteHopefully it has a purpose!
DeleteMy book was the Fault in Our Stars by John Green. I just finished the book and it was really sad at the end, but touching. I actually thought that Hazel was going to die, but I think she became even stronger. I think that it was weird that she told him his eulogy when he was alive. He did ask for her to tell him, but I think would have made me become depressed to know I’m about to die. Not only that, she decided to not say the eulogy that she revealed him because she already told him. When she walked to her car and cried, I also cried with her because it was touching to see them throughout this book have so much love at a young age. I know I’m young, yet I know there is such thing as love and I thought this was the best book ever because it showed the meaning of that strong word. If it was just about love, I wouldn’t be impressed, however, it was a book about a young couple both fighting against cancer and that was amazing because it told me about how it was living with cancer and being depressed because they will die someday and never found someone. I hope John Green will write more books because he is so creative with writing and I love it! I can’t wait to read more romance and compassionate books.
ReplyDelete(240 words)
Very good post! I'm so glad that you liked the book.
DeleteThis week, I am reading the Maze Runner by James Dashner. So far, Thomas is very confused and isn't getting answers to his questions. Thomas jut saw runners come out of the maze and also saw the maze close. When the maze closed, a huge rock wall slid over so no one could go in or get out. I wonder how that huge wall was able to move like that. I think that there might be humans behind the maze controlling it because it isn't natural for a wall that size to move by itself. I also wonder if Thomas is going to go into the maze in the future. Although this book is a little confusing, it is really good!
ReplyDelete(121 words)
Hachet Gary Paulsen
ReplyDeleteBrain imagens his friend and misses playing with him at the park. He needs to find a place for shelter, and he needs to find food. He eats some red berries to ease the hunger. Brian imagines and building on fire from matchets and remembers that he needs to build a shelter. He falls asleep from the nautia of the berries. I think that this story is filled suspense and survival. I think that this would be a good book for everybody and is bery excting. I hope Brian survives
I’m reading If I Stay by: Gayle Forman
ReplyDeleteSo, right now Adam finally got in to see Mia. Adam wants Mia to stay but Mia knows she can’t. She does not want to leave Adam behind which I get, but when she wakes up she will have no family so, I see why she would want to go. She likes the fact that her grandpa was telling her it’s okay to leave but, it’s all up to her weather she will or not. Adam tells her “please don’t make me write a song for you” because he only writes songs about sad things and his feelings. Mia really doesn’t want to leave him now but still feels it’s better if she goes. When Adam left he was really sad and still having a hard time with everything. Mia’s family is all really sad because she is the only one left and of course they all want her to stay. I think she should stay because she still has family that does not want her to go. She will be leaving all of them behind and they should have at least one person that did make it instead of no one.
The Maze Runner
ReplyDeleteBy: James Dashner
The last blog ended when Thomas entered the maze to try to run from Teresa’s telepathy. When Thomas returned, he spends the day in the Slammer. After the day is up, Minho retrieves Thomas and they enter the Maze. Thomas sees what WCKD means on a plaque in the Maze, “World in Catastrophe: Killzone Experiment Department. Thomas also can not get the words out of his head when Teresa spoke telepathically, “Tom, I just triggered the Ending.” I am wondering what the Ending is, I think it must have something to do with forcing the Gladers to enter the maze. The sun not visible when Thomas wakes, but Thomas and Minho enter the Maze anyway, they go at steady pace until they see a Griver around a corner. They follow the Griever until it disappears off the Cliff into the abyss. Minho and Thomas leave to tell the Gladers of the possible escape, the Griever Hole. However, just as they told everyone, Teresa woke and she telepathically spoke to Thomas saying, “ The Maze is a code Tom, The Maze is a code.” Does this mean that the Maze is a message? Is it a way out?
Good! I heard more you this time. Keep improving!
DeleteTitle: The Hunt for Red October
ReplyDeleteAuthor: Tom Clancy
Name: Matthew Fowler
Just like the week before I got to experience a little bit more of what this book has to offer. I learned a whole new side to Captain Ramius that I hadn’t learned about him from the movie. It explained his childhood and how his actions led up to him joining the soviet the union and becoming a pristine naval captain. Also Jack has showed the CIA the pictures of the Red October and he is then appointed to find the submarine. He then flies to a aircraft carrier which could possibly be in the same area with the Red October. Finally, he finds out that a submarine named USS Dallas has been tracking seismic activity in which Jack automatically suspects that they are really detecting the Red October. This week read was really good compared to others because like I said in the past I enjoy to hear the side stories and I got a really good one on Captain Ramius. Other then that it still followed the movie very well except for few parts which made it even more enjoyable.
I am reading Summer of my German Soldier by Bette Greene. The characters include: President Roosevelt, Patty, Ruth, Sharon, Father, Mother, Grandma, and Grandpa. I haven’t gotten very far, but so far it is a great book. The time period is during when the Nazis were killing the Jews. Patty is a skinny girl, which in her time wasn’t attractive. Her mom doesn’t seem to pay much attention to her. In a way, the mom seems to have a favorite, her little sister Sharon. So already, I have felt sympathy towards Patty. I do not understand why back then you could not show interest in your child if they were skinny.
ReplyDeleteBy,
Grace K. Ehlers
The book that I finished reading was called Wonder by R.J Palacio. As I thought, the ending was very positive and cheerful, as August finishes his first year of school. Throughout the book, I think August changed the most, from growing out of his Star Wars addiction to learning how to just be himself and to know that he's as normal as anyone else. I loved how during the whole camping trip, Henry and Miles, two people that weren't very kind to August at school, actually stood up for him and helped him when he was getting bullied by seventh graders. It leaves the impression of "knowing they have your back" feel to it, and made me happy to see that even though they were mean to him at first, they had decided to make that decision and help him. I think that the whole book overall is a great book because it shows that in the end, it doesn't matter about your appearance, but about the kind of person you are inside.
ReplyDeleteVery good!!!
DeleteThis week I am reading Eragon. When Eragon found the mysterious "stone" in the woods, I would have done what he did and take it home. I would not have taken it to the traveling merchants and try to sell it though, I would have kept it just because it was perfectly round and had a smoothed texture. When the stone turned out to be a dragon egg and hatched, I would have tried to keep it secret like Eragon at first, then try to tell the people I trust the most about it. These were my thoughts about the first few chapters of the book Eragon by Christopher Paolini.
ReplyDeleteI've been reading If I Stay by Gayle Forman. Mia is doing better and has been moved to a more open room; so people will be able to visit her. Her grandparents saw her and started to cry. The doctors told them about her injuries inside her body are worse than the outside ones. I’m still confused why nobody told Adam about what had happened. I would've thought that a family member or even Kim would've called him. Anyway, Mia starts talking about how Adam and she went trick-or-treating together for the first time. After that they went to Adam’s concert and Mia dresses like a total rock and roll girl just to impress Adam and make other girls jealous. I’m still dying to know what happened to Teddy and where Adam is!
ReplyDeleteI am still reading An Abundance of Katherines by John Green. So far in the story they are on the road trip and they have passed the Largest Wooden Crucifix already and were still driving along. On there way Colin saw a sign that said "Exit 212- see the grave of Archduke Franz Ferdinand- The Corpse that started World War I" and Colin was interested in it and told Hassan about it, if that were me I would have not wanted to see a dead corpse because that is not really interesting to me. So they went to a Hardee's at Exit 212 and Colin called his mother saying they were in Carver County, Tennessee. After that they ate food and then asked for directions to see Archduke Ferdinands corpse, which the lady there referred to as Gutshot. So they followed her directions and headed towards Gutshot, Tennessee that only had a population of 864 which is really small amount for a town. They met a girl there at a store by the name of Lindsey Lee Wells, and she was a tour guide apparently. Skipping ahead because this chapter had a lot of information and things happening, so they are walking to the grave of Archduke Ferdinand and Colin trips over something and falls flat on his face because I am guessing his reflexes did not activate so he like fell flat on his face and he has glasses which is even worse because it causes more damage so bad luck for him. After that he says he fell, which is pretty obvious, and he was bleeding and his vision was blury. So Lindsey Lee Wells was luckily a paramedic in training, what a concidence, so she helped put pressure on his head where it was bleeding. She left to get help so Hassan put pressure on the bleeding when she left and soon after that he passed out. THEN it went to a flashback of when Katherine the nineteenth dumped him and well, let's just say it was pretty harsh. I think this chapter was fairly longer than the others but I still enjoyed it very much. The use of imagery was used really well in this chapter, and the flow of the novel is going really well and keeping my interest.
ReplyDeleteWOW that's a long blog! You gave me a little bit of your own ideas at the end, but I was the blog to be MOSTLY your own ideas. Remember that next time, okay?
DeleteI am reading "The True Meaning of Smekday" By Adam Rex. I have so many questions that need to be answered. I am left on a cliffhanger where Gratuity and J.Lo are being chased by police Boov through an abandoned Florida city. They keep barely escaping and it is making me curious if they will be captured or not. They recently found out that all of the Americans have been moved from Florida to Arizona because the Boov decided they wanted to keep Florida due to the Oranges. This book is keeping me on the edge of my seat and continues to surprise me by every word I read.
ReplyDeleteKyle Oldham, Violets are Blue, by James Patterson. This blog will be about chapters 17 and 18. In these two chapters it is from a vampire’s point of view. The vampires are brothers and they have a big part in all the killing that have just happened recently and in the past. I think they work for the mastermind, speaking of the mastermind he hasn’t been talked about in the book as much right now I wander why? Maybe because he doesn’t have time to call Alex because he is out killing people. In chapter 18 the vampires go in a funeral home and go into the part where the bodies are and they drink one middle aged woman’s blood and they tell her course that she is worth of them and they are worthy of her I think that part was kind of weird.
ReplyDeleteI've tried to oost this 3 different times. Sorry if you get lots of copies. I am reading Rascal by Sterling North. It is about a little boy living during the World War I time period. Hi is eleven years old at the start of the book and he has had a hard time dealing with the loss of his mom. His father is having a hard time as well so he works and travels a lot. The little boy does whatever he wants to do. He has older brothers and sisters but they don't have time for him. One of them is off fighting in the war. The others are older and are in college or starting their own families. The little boy is very lonely and he loves animals. He has many strange pets. His neighbors do not like them. He has skunks, a crow, minnows, and Rascal. Rascal is a raccoon that he found in his nest. He raised him and lets him sleep in the bed and eat at the kitchen table. His dad doesn't mind. I'm sure my mom would not let any Rascal sleep in the bed and definitely not eat at the table. The church actually forces him to get rid of some of his pets because they interrupt church service one day. The story is set up like a journal so that we know what's going on over a period of time. It even has updates about what's going on in the war. It mentions meatless, sweetless, wheatless days that I remember from US history. The little boy loves Rascal and I hope nothing happens to him.
ReplyDeleteVERY GOOD!
DeleteBeatiful Creatures by kami and garcia & Margaret stofh. So They snuck into a castle where they found caster like witches and warlocks. ethan Thought she was crazy when she expolained to him what type of casters they were. He also hangs out with her alot more often then he usally did lossing his spot in popularity and his friends, he hasn't been turned into a vampire yet. So he is safe for now. He also saves her from the cliff/ fall and some keywords are cineplex in the next post ill have a defetion for you guys. Thats all for today
ReplyDeleteLet me hear more YOU, Jay! Looking forward to those definitions : )
DeleteI'm Reading Chasing Vermeer by Brett Helquist. I picked this book because it has to do with art and I love art though I may not be the best but I'm not bad too. In the book a famous piece of art gets stolen. At the beginning of the book the author seems to just jump in to everything all at once. I'm at the beginning of chapter 5 in other words I just got on to the chapter. The main character is named Petra, she's smart with a sense of humor, she reminds me of my friend Trotsky so i can somewhat relate to her. The book is amazing but through out the first couple of chapters you have to read between the lines, it may not seem like that to other people but it seems like that to me. I gues that I'm just different.
ReplyDeleteVery good, Ana!
DeleteI am still reading The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho. He is now in the desert. There were cries of children and whimpering of animals. Hot and windy, there were animals and not that much noise though. This part describes the dessert so great. The desert is so hot and really large. It is super windy too! There were rocky areas and dried-up lakes. There was a camel and Santiago was friends with the camel’s rider. They talk about you don’t have to lose what you have when you love somewhere. If it’s our passions or life, you can still have that in your life. They also talk about desert stories.
ReplyDeleteAnastasia Ehlers
Anastasia, I want you to tell me what you think about what you are reading! Can I have more of your thoughts next time?
DeleteI am still reading The Exorcist by William Peter Blatty. The book is starting to really get more intense, as I am at the middle. At this point in the book Regan has been sent to a mental hospital where they can study her behavior. I can feel the stress given from the character Chris, this book has a lot of imagery just like we learned about in class today. I start feeling sad, like Im in the book really, and its just great. This book continues to give me chills and it really gives me a spooky feeling like someone is watching me, and thats really quite a rush for me, since I don't get scared easily by things like movies and especially books.
ReplyDeleteMy continuous reading of Just Another Hero by Sharon Draper. Arielle and November have grudge between one another and finds it hard to relate because of how their past relationship ended with Arielle's behavior in which she was rude and ignorant of what November was chronicly going through by . I don't comply of why Arielle would do such to her friend I mean if I were in her shoes and found out my friend was pregnant I won't make a fun out of her but will first find out how she got into that mess and why, what caused it to happen if she blamed it on her boyfriend then i 'd if told her not to ever get a boyfriend like that who doesn't respect your standards and have some self respect as well this is a polite and reasonable way of addressing the matter, I feel.
ReplyDeletePrincess, it sounds like you are trying to make your writing sound more formal than it needs to be. Next week, try writing the way you speak and then we will take it from there!
DeleteMy book is Theodore Boone: The Activist by John Grisham. Theo has learned of a new city bypass that will cost a lot of money (200 million). Theo has also heard that many houses will be torn down to make way for this Bypass. I know that this is a bad idea, but the people funding it will make the governor very, very rich. It will also cause run right by an elementary school, but that won’t stop the city. I think that Theo should get a crowd together and use his amazing debate skills to fight it. I want to see him snoop around and find some secrets of the city. My opinion is that Theo is a debate heavy leader and i know he will not bow down to the bypass. (sorry for it being late)
ReplyDeleteIt is very good!
DeleteI am reading the book FADE by Lisa Mcmann. This week in reading was very good and kept me very much wanting more. The way she keeps you interested in the story is amazing. Mcmann's way of doing this is by involving other minor conflicts along with the story. These minor conflicts may not seem big at the time but as the story progresses you start to see more and more of these minor things make their way into the main plot and it may even change the outcome of the story.
ReplyDelete“A Wrinkle in Time”- Madeline L’engle
ReplyDeleteFurther into the book, after Megs’ dilemma with the void. Suddenly things got even stranger. Apparently, Meg and company can perform interstellar travel in only a few seconds. To me this is kind of cool but insane because it seems impossible to travel that distance in the short amount of time, but they did explain how they traveled this fast in the book. They said it wasn't really traveling there as it is teleporting there through thing called a tesser, relating to the word Tesseract, which is how they traveled this distance. On further reading in this section one of the three women turned Into a magical unicorn sort of thing with rainbow wings, needless to say it gets really interesting in this spot and I can't wait to read more.
I am reading Divergent by Veronica Roth. Right now I am at the part where the main character Tris is awoken by her "friends" getting dressed. She try's to ask what is going on, but she gets no reply. She figures out that it is a simulation and mimicks what the others are doing. When they walk out to the train she finds Tobias. She walks up to him and presses his hand against hers he grips her hand fermly this is how Tris knew that Tobias was also a Divergent. This is a very god book and i am really enjoying it.
ReplyDelete