Monday, October 13, 2014

Blog Due 10/17/2014

For this week's blog, please do the following if you don't already (and then do it for the rest of the year!):

1) Read a chunk of your book (about a chapter or so) - ten to twenty pages should do.
2) Put the book down and don't pick it back up until you have posted your blog.
3) THINK about one thing you want to focus your blog on.
4) WRITE an organized paragraph with a topic sentence, body, and concluding sentence. Shoot for 6-10 sentences in length.

No title -5
No author -5
Does not meet word count -10 to -20 (depending)
Mostly or all summary -10 to -20 (depending)
Poor grammar/spelling -10

101 comments:

  1. In the new book Tiger Force, its about Sam Ybarra. He is a solider in the Vietnam war. His called "Crazy Sam" because he loves cruising Arizona's streets. He is a shy and charming voice. His good friend Ken Green always picked fights in school, at Globe High School. He was a short fellow but told the bigger people that he is the boss of the school. Green was always a good shot with guns. On some nights in the summer, Green goes to the Roosevelt Lake with his handy 22 rifle. He messes with the sheriff. This was a first good chapter in this book because it actually has action unlike other books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The book I am reading is The Fault in Our Stars. Seventeen year old Hazel Grace attends a cancer support group because her mother wants her to share her thoughts and also to make friends. Because of the type of cancer she has she has to carry around an oxygen tank with her. One day she catches a teenage boy staring at her his name is Augustus Waters. After support group he comes up to her both talk about cancer. He invites her over to his house both discuss books they can read, so both decide to read the book they both chose for each other.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Blood of Olympus explains a lot of our every day myths. I like this book so much partly because of how well it explains some of those every day little myths. A good example of this is how Rick Riordan (the author) explains the commercial store Nike. He says that in some of the characters quest they have to subdue victory. He says that Nike is the goddess of victory. I think thats a really good explanation of how the Nike store was formed. Another example of this is how he explains the WW2 disaster. He says that the Roman and Greek demigods fought a war about who is the best. All in all, the Blood of Olympus is a great book, and humorous book that also has some explanation that connects Greek myths with real world disasters/scenarios. I advise you to read this book if you enjoyed the Percy Jackson series.
    (180 words, roughly)
    By Sydni Simpson

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am reading The Blood of Olympus by Rick Riordan. It is the fifth book in The Heroes of Olympus. In the book Percy Jackson had to fight for his life in an arena. This took a lot of courage, that’s something I wish I had. I wish I could stand up to problems that I face in the real world. He is also good at making a game plan and working under pressure. I’m exactly the opposite; I stress out and fall under pressure. He is everything that I would like to be (besides Jesus but that’s a whole different story.) Maybe one day I can learn to be courageous, making good game plans, and to work under pressure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Currently I am reading 2nd Chance by James Patterson. I think that they are figuring out who the shooter was because they not even found any kind of clues or evidence. I think there is a gang involved. I think that everybody part of this case is linked to the person who killed the girl and hung the old woman. I think she is not trusted by other people because she is a girl. I don't know why only one person got killed in a shootout in the front of a church and nobody else was killed. I think they should not tell the press.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am looking for a topic sentence and a concluding sentence.

      Delete
  6. I am more than half way done with the book Hatchet by Gary Paulsen. I just finished reading chapter 14. This chapter pretty much just talks about mistakes; the humorous mistakes that can affect Brian, the main character, greatly. There is a word that is used that I am not familiar with. Rectify; it means to fix something or correct it. Later on in the chapter Brian gets sprayed by a skunk in the face and the skunk eats the turtle eggs that he has been eating. Brian ends up rebuilding his shelter in a better way and finds a place to put the food on top of the shelter. He then takes a bunch of large rocks and puts them in the lake to make a small "pond" to trap the fish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What is the topic of your paragraph? I can't tell!

      Delete
  7. In"Mockingjay" by Suzanne Collins there is alot of controling in the book. For example,the Capital and the district's, they control who they marry,where they work, and if they want to participate to the Hunger Games. Another example is president Snow and Katniss, Snow provok's Katniss to make choice's that hurt the people she loves, also act like someone that she isn't. Knowing Katniss she doesn't handle emotions correctly and everything with the war is stressing her out. Overall, the amount of controling is ridiculous and evil.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great job picking a topic and sticking with it. We need to do some focused work on your grammar.

      Delete
  8. I just finished reading a great book, Old Yeller, by Fred Gipson, and I highly recommend this book to other students. One reason is when Travis was nervous about having the responsibility of taking over the land while the father is gone. The author shows that even a kid can take on more responsibilities. Another reason is that Travis has to learn to hunt and get the food for the family. Students can learn how to toughen up in the real world and learn to help themselves. In conclusion , I hope that others enjoy it as much as I did.

    ReplyDelete

  9. I am currently reading Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick. I’m going to talking a little about the characters of this book and then something in the chapter I read. First character is Hugo. Hugo is an orphan who lost his father in a fire, and now he lives behind the walls of a busy Paris train station even though he’s supposed to be living with his uncle. The next character is Papa Georges. He used to be a grumpy old man until he saw Hugo fixing his toy mouse, and now he likes Hugo. He even hired Hugo to work at his toy booth with him. The last character is Isabelle. I don’t know everything, but I know some things about her like she helped Hugo find his notebook. Isabelle is I think Papa Georges god daughter, but I'm not completely sure. Also she used to think Hugo was a thief, and she stayed away from him until he told her what he can do and now they are friends. In the chapter I read, Hugo finds a key to a secret room. I don’t know what that is yet, but I’m excited to know. (195 words)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a good start, Grace. Next time, I want you to choose one topic and focus on it all the way through!

      Delete
  10. I am currently reading the Fault in Our Stars by John Green. I am on the second chapter. Hazel and Augustus are finally hanging out and mingling. Hazel gets to know Augustus by going to his house after a meeting and Hazel met his parents. Hazel liked his parents and his house because they were very encouraging and has encouraging quotes around his house. I wonder what significance his parents are going to play in the book. I am really enjoying this book so far and can't wait to read more. This book is very enjoyable for all ages!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good start. Your topic isn't very clear - try to be more specific next time!

      Delete
  11. This week I finished reading Speaker for the Dead by Orson Scott Card.

    Now Lusitania has been labeled in rebellion and the people who live there have made a treaty with the piggies. I was surprised when they were labeled rebelling. But then they actually did start rebelling because of it. I thought it was amazing that they signed the treaty. Then they took down the fence and started living together in peace. I was amazed that Ender has gotten everyone’s trust and even convinced the colony to rebel when he has been there for just three weeks. If I ever had to rate this book I would give it five stars.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad you enjoyed your book. I can see that the topic of your paragraph is about the rebellion, but lets try to make the topic about your thoughts on the book. For example: What about the rebellion? What does it matter?

      Delete
  12. I am reading The Fault in our Stars by John Green. In the final two chapters of the book it was very sad and depressing. Augustus calls Hazel in the middle of the night asking her to pick him up at a gas station. When Hazel got there, Augustus was extremely weak and barely standing. He didn’t want Hazel to call an ambulance but she did anyway. I was holding my breath during these last few chapters because when the paramedics were bringing Augustus to the hospital it was very clear that he was going to die. In the hospital Hazel comforts Augustus’s parents and cries a lot. During the memorial service for Augustus, Hazel makes a great speech about her relationship with Augustus. She also runs into Peter Van Houten at the funeral and she gives him a piece her mind and tells him how selfish and rude he was. I felt like these last few chapters really focused on Augustus dying and how sad it was. Overall, I really enjoyed The Fault in Our Stars and would definitely recommend it to other people. (185 words)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am reading The Young Elite by Marie Lu. The story stars out with the main character, Adelina Amoutru, in a cell of dungeon, and then goes on telling you why she is there. She is charged for the murder of her father, yet she was protecting herself, and is sentenced for death. She killed her father by using powers she didn't know she had, about a decade before this the world was swept in a blood fever; many died but the children who lived were left with strange markings and sometimes the hair would change a wide variety of colors. Some of those children also had special powers, some could control animals, command the wind, and summon sprits. Adelina lost her left eye and her hair and eyelashes turned a silverish white, her father blames her for his failure at her a spouse because "she is so unpleasing no one will want her." Which I think is quite unfair since she can't help what she looks like, and it shows how far she was willing to go to get away from him. Overall I am really enjoying this book but it is in the view of two other characters, and I hope I like their parts as much as I like this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This has some great information, but I cannot tell what the topic of your paragraph is. It needs to be a topic about your thoughts and not a lead in to a summary of what you read.

      Delete
  14. I want to focus on how Will. Even though at such young age feels above everybody else when he is in a “perfect society” utopia. He acts normal as if he holds no power around his friends but when an outsider comes he gets offended easily. For example a new girl has come to his academy and just by her smiling to him he feels offended. Will doesn’t seem to like her for various reasons but can’t stop saying stuff about her. It’s kinda like a love hate relationship without them even knowing each other. I hope to see them interact and for Will to show his true feelings for this new girl even though he is a higher power than her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. William, you did a great job choosing a topic and sticking with it but you forgot to tell us the author and title of your book!

      Delete
  15. I want to focus on Wills royalty. Even though at such young age feels above everybody else when he is in a “perfect society” utopia. He acts normal as if he holds no power around his friends but when an outsider comes he gets offended easily. For example a new girl has come to his academy and just by her smiling to him he feels offended. Will doesn’t seem to like her for various reasons but can’t stop saying stuff about her. It’s kinda like a love hate relationship without them even knowing each other. I hope to see them interact and for Will to show his true feelings for this new girl even though he is a higher power than her.
    (typo in other blog)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am reading Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan. I will be focusing on the characters of the story in the specific blog. In this book there are a bit of characters. You have Percy Jackson that is a very adventurous teenage half-blood. You have Annabeth a vicious girl that is a half-blood also that I think likes Percy but I’m not sure. You have Chiron the leader of the Half-Blood Hill where he helps a lot of the half-bloods learn how to control their power and things. These characters are really cool and Percy is like me because I like to adventure around places and discover new things that I never knew.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have a topic and a conclusion, and that is good! Next time, however, I would like for your topic to be about your own ideas.

      Delete
  17. This week I read a couple chapters in Eragon by Christopher Paolini. In the chapters I read, I really liked the imagery he used in them. When Saphira took Eragon to the mountains, I liked how Paolini described the snowy landscape of the area, describing all of the snow layered on the ground, the iced over lake, and all the trees with snow on the branches. He also described the cuts Eragon had on his inner legs from riding Saphira, her scales scraping against his legs. Another example of imagery I liked in the chapters was when they flew back to his house, it being burned to the ground. Paolini described all the crumbled walls, the farm house that was up in flames, and how Garrow had been trapped in the rubble, and how rescued him and Eragon tried to carry him to town, before passing out onto the ground, with Brom running from the town to him. These were just two examples of the imagery I liked in the chapters I read in Eragon by Christopher Paolini.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hello Mrs. Watson. This week I am continuing on reading Three Graves Full by Jamie Mason because, as you know, the first quarter I had a lot of trouble finding a suitable book that I enjoyed. But, fortunately for me, I am very much content with this book. The subject I am choosing to write about this week is the Detective Bayard. Detective Bayard is the detective who comes to Jason’s house to investigate after the yard workers found two out of three of the bodies buried in Jason’s backyard. When the detective first comes to Jason’s house he makes Jason very uncomfortable because once again, his paranoia is off the charts, but Detective Bayard is very nice and thanks Jason for his cooperation because there is a huge crime scene just outside his house. I really find it interesting how Detective Bayard really doesn’t suspect anything about Jason even when he asks to search his house and Jason freaks out. This is why I wanted to write about Detective Bayard because even though Jason is very paranoid and pretty sketchy when he was being questioned so I find it almost weird that he didn’t suspect anything at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great blog. Remember to write a conclusion that sums it all up!

      Delete
  19. Confusion. Panic. Those are two of the many emotions that I felt from Thomas in chapters one and two of "The Maze Runner" by James Dashner. I felt that Thomas was panicking when he first came up out of the elevator that brought him to The Glade. He also panicked when he heard that odd noise from within the wooden building. I think that something in there is in pain,screaming for help. I felt like Thomas was extremely confused when he first woke up because he didn't remember anything except for his name. I also thought he was very confused with the different slang that the boys were using. Even though Thomas felt many emotions when he woke up, but confusion and panic where the most felt.

    Clarissa Lawen
    "The Maze Runner" by James Dashner
    Chapters 1 & 2

    ReplyDelete
  20. mocking jay
    By: Suzanne Collins

    I am on chapter four and I would feel really bad if this was true, because Octavia and her crew is chained up and starving and no one knows how long they have been down there and it isn't there fault that there is a hunger games. I think that the president of district thirteen is very power hungry but she just wont admit it and she does not like Catniss Everdeen because she is afraid that Catniss might ruin her chance of becoming president.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I am reading The Mae Runner by James Dashner. The Maze Runner has been a good book so far, and this week I read about the Glade receiving a girl. In the Glade, they receive a new boy once a month. Then, one day after Thomas arrives, a new person arrives, and it’s a girl. I wonder why the glade only consisted of boys, and then they sent one girl into it. The girl was in a coma, and I wonder if and when she will wake up. Also, Thomas tries to remember if he had seen the girl before, but he doesn’t think he has. I think that Thomas really did know this girl before his memory was wiped, and that they will remember each other. In conclusion, this chapter was a little confusing and left me with some questions but I think that they’ll be answered with further reading.
    (151 words)

    ReplyDelete
  22. The Maze Runner
    By: James Dashner
    This is going to be my last blog for the Maze Runner. I would like to say that this book has been a pleasure to read and I encourage other young adults to read the Maze Runner. The book is coming to a close and I will make this brief, the Gladers find a way out through the Griever Hole with severe casualties. When they enter the code into a panel for a doorway, the Grievers shut off. The Gladers then slide down a mysterious spiral, slimy slide. Once at the bottom, the Gladers are met by a woman and Gally. Gally tries to kill Thomas by throwing a dagger at him, but Chuck lunges in front of the weapon and dies. Just as all chaos is erupting, a group of men in masks barges in the room and kills the woman and other observers. The Gladers are taken with the group of men on a bus, away from the compound. The group tells the Gladers that they are safe, and that they are part of an organization against Wicked. The book has taken a major turn, I thought that the Gladers were in a completely different world, but they were simply hidden from the world we know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once again, good writing, but almost all summary. Can you choose something that you find interesting and elaborate on it?

      Delete
  23. The Fault in our Stars by John Green. (Chapters twenty one and twenty five) Chapter twenty one was about Augustus Waters dying because of bad cancer when his heart stopped. I think this is very sad and very depressing for Hazel because that was her boyfriend. They also planned a pre-funeral with Augustus there. I like that they got his opinion on what they should do for his funeral . Chapter twenty five is about Hazel also dying from bad cancer. I also think this is sad and shocking to me for the ending of the story. So this was a great book I have enjoyed reading.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I chose to read how to kill a mocking bird by Harper Lee. So far it seems that the main mystery is of "Boo" or Arthur Radley. The kids,Scout, Dill and Jem are very interested in the stories. However they are also interested if it is the truth. They start watching the Radley house because they have to walk by it every day from school. They only see the father every now and again, but it is like Scout knows that there is someone else in there and she won't let it go. This is starting to bother Jem and he is starting to get annoyed. Dill is still trying to get Jem's attention and Scout is trying to just get rid of Jem's attention.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I read the book called The Last Dog on Earth by Daniel Ehrenhaft. The main character is Logan Moore that hates everyone except the dog named Jack that they didn’t want to have as a pet. Logan is my favorite character because he has almost the same emotion as me, but it is even worse than mine. He also hates getting mad. My least favorite character is Devon Wallace. He was snobbish and mean to the little kids. The hilarious part of the story so far was when he made a list of things he hated. He also hated his father because he abandoned him when he was seven. I feel sorry for Logan. (114 words)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Greetings, Ms. Watson. This week I am reading the book “The Maze Runner”. This book is written by James Dashner. I began reading this book this week and it is simply amazing. The way it pulls the reader in is grand. The exposition of the book grabs the reader for a ride by describing how Thomas, the main character of the book, is in a dark box being taken up in a somewhat elevator. Then you are introduced to where the setting is, the Glade. James describes the way it looks and sounds in the lifeless room and what he was thinking about while he was in the mysterious darkness. Finally, he met people as they take hold of him out of the space and establish where they were. To this point it is very interesting about the mystery and suspense of this paperback and I am going to continue reading his book. (153 words)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Make sure that your conclusion restates the intro!

      Delete
  27. I am reading I am Number Four by Pittacus Lore. John has developed his beginning legacy, but has yet to develop the remaining legacies. Henri, his guardian is worried and concerned that he may never gain them. John has started dating Sarah, and all is well between then other than the constant fear that John will have to move at a moment’s notice. The fear is being fed by the knowledge of John’s friend Sam. Sam is a space nerd who sits at home reading alien conspiracy journals, articles, and blogs. Sam mentioned something about Mogadorians that struck entrance in Sam and Henri. After walking into Sam’s house uninvited and unannounced, John found himself with a gun pointed at his chest and was being questioned by Sam as to if he was an alien. As usual, John covered his tracks. Sam told John that he is so interested in the topic because he believes his dad was abducted by aliens. I think John will have to move soon. I think the attention from Sam is warning enough that the Mogadorians will be there soon. In my opinion, John has failed to stay under the radar. Will they move? If so, will Sarah want to go with them? Will John tell Sam? Is Sam a threat to their safety? I plan to finish this book soon, and hopefully my questions will be answered.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good writing, but what is the topic? If it is your intro sentence, I cannot make the connections between all those that follow.

      Delete
  28. After reading chapter 12 of The Restaurant At The End Of The Universe by Douglas Adams, I realize how much the author must connect everything that happens in the book, no matter how improbable those connections may be. For example, the Heart of Gold, which was floating in empty space without power, actually turned out to be in Zaphod's pocket. Also, Zaphod survived the universe scale machine because he was actually in another universe where everything was the same except for the machine's outcome. These aren't the first connections the author's made; he does this a bunch of times in the first book, The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy. For example, he connects the Earth to some rats who wants to find "the Answer to Life, the Universe, and Everything" (that's how it's capitalized in the book). It's more probable that more of these improbabilities will appear later in the book.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Call of the wild by jack London. So lately the story has been getting better and better he finally escaped and is in the wild, he hasn’t joined a pack yet. My thoughts are that he will join a pack and the leader will not take him very lightly, He seems to be a timid type of husky not so excited or clueless. My Questions are will he ever become leader of pack of will he ever join a new pack? Also will he be able to create his own pack. Also why does it say white fang at the end of the title.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Book: The Enemy
    Author: charlie Higson
    I am on chapter seven of my book and it's is really good. At the start of the chapter Josh yells that Arran and the the others are close. Maxie's heart starts to thump in to her rips. When she asked Callum if it's good to open the gates he said yes. So she asked the two new characters in the book Bernie and Ben. They were both emo. In the book it says that they look alike a little but Bernie is a girl so that girl has to look werid if she looks like a guy a little. We'll they are both into robotics. The made all the modifications to the camp. They are the only ones to open and close the gates and barricades. When Arran and Maxie come to talk to each other the both said that they lost someone. Maxie lost Small Sam and Arran lost Deke. Later on Achilleus jumped on to Freak and told him that Dekes Blood is in his hands. Arran griped and pulled Achilleus if Freak. But I don't understand why Achilleus would do that if they are not best friends or even close to Deke. We'll later everyone tried to make Freak stop being sad about what happen to Deke. So yeah that's is what had happen in my book and in This chapter. I look foreword in reading the series of the book and I think I we'll really enjoy the book like my friends and cousin have.

    ReplyDelete
  31. This week I read the second chapter of Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins.it is kind of boring at the beginning because they mostly just sit around in a hovercraft and talk about how sad they are because their district was destroyed. After that they go underground to their living space in district 13 where they have been living. When they are going to eat they get called into a room by some leaders to talk about how Peeta is doing well. It is interesting but I think they should have made it move faster from the beginning instead of really slow. I think once it speeds up it will be a really good book.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I am currently reading "The Rescue", by Nicholas Sparks. I want to reflect on the second chapter, because it explains a lot about the way Kyle is. The author starts the chapter off by Denise, Kyle's mom, at the doctor figuring out what is wrong with Kyle. I think that this was a good way to intrigue people, and make them want to keep reading. We find out that Kyle has the speech ability of a two-year old, however Kyle is five. It's a really emotional chapter, and shows how strong Kyle's mom is. She is young, and raising him on her own. On the outside, she seems to be doing just fine, but on the inside, she is really struggling and the author does an extremely good job showing this through her actions. At the end of the chapter, the author tells us that Denise gets in a car crash and leaves us with a complete page turner of what happens next. I'm so excited to read this book, and I'm very happy I chose this book to read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very good writing as always. Lets try to go deeper with your topic next time!

      Delete
  33. Title: Terra Formars
    Authors: Sagusa Yu and Tachibana Kenichi
    Matthew F.
    10/17/14

    One question comes to mind when you are stranded in a unknown place and told to survive for certain of amount time and that question is how? Well that is what the crew of the Annex has to do, but how will they survive for 40 days when 12 out of the 100 have already died? I don’t know but they better have the will to last that long because they are split up right now and must regroup to stand a chance. Though the Annex maybe all but lost due to the fact that it fell from the atmosphere and smashed on to the martian surface. There is still the possible threat that there are traitors among them and as they land they can’t get into contact with the other groups. Plus each nation most likely have their own goals to fulfill, so that might interfere too. Still each group is fighting the hordes of Terra Formars/cockroaches off and 2 of the groups finally manage to regroup, but during the chaos they learn the cockroaches have stolen the bugs surgery from the crew of the 2nd Bugs mission. The one thing they thought couldn’t be stolen was stolen and the fact that the entire European group/Germans were wiped out it an epic explosion killing the Terra Formar’s leader. I don’t know what lies ahead as they advance to the Annex, but I do know that they are in for one hell of a fight.

    ReplyDelete
  34. So far I am reading Saints at the River by Ron Rash. Allen thought that he saw a body underwater; they put a camera underwater. They were trying to figure out what was really in the river. Nobody knew anything about it. They want to ask people but they might think that the people are idiots. They have come to a new spring land with his friends. When they came to a flower field, they smelled like rich open-earth adore of a fresh-turned field. The next day in the new place, someone already had died and we had a funeral. After that, they all went home and Allen was thinking to himself why he couldn’t just have Friday and Saturday nights off; he had to take care of his dying mother.
    By,
    Anastasia Ehlers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anastasia, you did a good job of summarizing, but I want a topic sentence that focuses on something you find interesting and then I want the rest of the blog to focus on that - on you and your ideas.

      Delete
  35. I am finishing the book An Abundance of Katherines by John Green. In this chapter I'm only going to focus on the middle of the beginning with the Katherines. He talks about the pain of how it is to go through a break up. At first, the very first Katherine he dated he saw her constantly because her father took him to school and they always constantly saw eachother so it wasn't such a big deal. On top of that they were pretty young so it honestly did not matter between them because that is how kids are, they like to act things out and actually do things they don't understand. After they he skipped ahead to the constant dating girls named Katherine and then him getting dumped. He said the constant getting with girls named Katherine and then getting dumped was getting boring but the pain was still there. No matter how constant the breaking up would be and how boring it would get each time the pain would still be there in the end. He compared it to someone getting their teeth crushed by a plier, the first one would obviously be intense. The thing is it gets boring after a while but no matter how boring it gets the pain will always be there. No matter how boring or bland or whatever it is the pain will still be there after it. I really enjoyed this chapter because it proves a very good point about pain. Pain may be temporary but it will always be there afterwords. I love this book and will defiantly continue it on my own. The third person POV is perfect for this book and the description words are defiantly very amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have some great thoughts here, Ashley. Just make sure that your topic matches what you are discussing. You could have been more specific (i.e. pain).

      Delete
  36. I am reading The Mist by Stephen King. I am honestly not expecting this book to be as exciting of a read as The Exorcist was, but I am still hoping to get a good kick out of it. So the book starts off right after a bad storm has ended in Bridgton, Maine. A mist has begun to come out near a lake, that is near a spooky military base thing. So far I haven't read much into it, but the I get the feeling that The Mist might be like poison that kills people or something like that, I will just have to read on and find out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good. Now lets try to get deeper with your topics.

      Delete
  37. I am reading Summer of my German Soldier by Bette Greene. There are no new characters. Patty’s personality has really started coming out in the past chapters. She has a temper and can be stubborn. Patty still has been having problems with her parents, who don’t show that much love towards her. I do not understand parents in the past. They tend to point out the daughters’ flaws. For example, Patty’s mom always tells Patty how bad her hair looks. The women back then are always in each other’s business. Mrs. Reeves, hair dresser, kept asking about her father while Patty was getting her done. Summer of my German Soldier really reflects how the people lived and acted in back then.
    By,
    Grace K. Ehlers

    ReplyDelete
  38. In the beginning of the new book Double sided by Raven Magwood. A lady, Mrs. Jefferson takes her two year old twin daughters, Sarah and Kaneesha, into a store and after they came out an armed robber jumped out of no where and demanded the lady to give up her girls to him. She disagreed and suggested something else but them as she freaked out when her kids were being taken by force then suddenly disappeared from her sight for years.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Are you there God? It's Me, Margaret by Judy Blume. So as you already know Margaret already twelve has just moved from New York to the suburbs. She's really nervous to fit in with her new friends. Margaret has just been asked to join a secret club and jumps at the opportunity to joint. At first Margaret is fine and okay with it but then the girls start talking about boys, bras, and getting their first period. She's questioning herself if she's normal. I can't imagine how she feels but if your a girl I'm pretty sure you can imagine how she feels. She will probably feel better when she becomes closer to her friends it's just a new environment and she's trying to fit in.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Scorch Trails by James Dashner: I am focusing on minho for my paragraph. In the second book Minho was chosen to be the leader of the Gladers. He is strong but brings comical relief to the book, he is funny and sarcastic but is serious when it gets down to it. During the storm before they reach the city he is injured and is carried to a building. After disrespecting Jorge, he is threatened but he is not scared. He laughs and dares Jorge to kill him. Minho is a good friend to the Gladers and will do anything to complete the mission and help save his friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good job choosing a topic and sticking with it!

      Delete
  41. I'm currently reading A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens. The main part of the book that I am going to be focusing on is is the way Dickens describes the people or characters in the book and because of the way he writes it is either very easy or it is very hard to understand the person or persons that he is describing. I am far into the book but i feel as though I am lost. I have read several Dickens book and I feel that I understand those book more then i understand this book. As for the characters its like they don't really add up in the context of the text. I feel as though I need to read between the lines for his books. I hope as I read farther into this book the more that I will get what he is trying to say through writing.

    ReplyDelete
  42. The book I am reading is called Paper Towns by John Green. As you find out at the beginning, Quentin, the main character, has a huge crush on a girl named Margo Roth Spiegelman. The start of this book is really interesting, having a homicide/suicide in the first five pages of the book. I like how Margo, along with Quentin, try and found out who and why the mysterious man who was found dead was dead at the park. Later in the book, it goes to present time, where Quentin is talking about prom with his friends, and about how he despises it. He also mentions Margo, who he still has a crush on, is dating a guy named Jase. I hope that Margo will break up with Jase and go out with Quentin because of how he talks and always thinks about her. I hope by the end of the book, that will become true.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You didn't stick with your topic in your intro!

      Delete
  43. I am still reading "The Fault In our Stars" by John Green. I am at the part when Augustus joins Hazel's pursuit of the book's author, Peter Van Houten, to provide the answers that they need. Augustus even uses a wish foundation to fly him and Hazel to Amsterdam, where the author lives, to talk with him in person. While Hazel is the one that is about to die, Augustus ends up telling Hazel that at his recent scan, the doctors discovered that his entire body is filled with cancer. Hazel spends the last months of Augustus's life caring for him and loving him. This book is really sad and just makes me cry every time I read it. When I get to this part, I try to hold my tears in.

    ReplyDelete
  44. Drive-By
    By: Harper Trophy

    Today I read chapter five and it's Tito and Mina's first day of school. Mom is taking Mina to her first day of kindergarten and Tito just wants to walk by his self because he likes to get to school early. So he can talk to his friends and work on computers. Then the door bell ringed its Zev Tito runs out the back door up the ally. With Jimmy's old tennis shoes Tito says "Mom says I shouldn't wear them because they could break my ankle or something, but I don't care". When Tito gets in class and takes his seat then starts staring at Lisa Tosca as Tito puts it the prettiest girl in school. Tito says "I liked to plan ways to meet her. Mabey I'd win an award and she come and congratulate me.Or I would climb a tree and save her cat if she had one". So I read a good chunk of chapter five today and I'm ready to finish the book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CJ - this is almost entirely summary. I want to know what you think about the things that are happening in the book.

      Delete
  45. The next part of my book is When they do get to go to Amsterdam. Agustus and Hazel fly to Amsterdam while they are occumpanied by Hazels mother. They landed in Amsterdam and went sigt seeing, but what Hazel and Agustus really wanted to do was so see their faviorate author. They went to dinner the night before their big day of seeing him, but later in the night little did they know he was going to pay for their entire dinner. The had an amazing dinner at a super fancy resturant, and they were getting ready for the dayu ahead. The day arrived and they were walking up to the front door and something unexpected happened, you will have to read my next bloog to find out. I have always wanted to go to Amsterdam so I am very jealous of them.

    ReplyDelete
  46. I am reading the Serpent's shadow by Rick Riordan. the book is very good and enjoyable. They have made it to the Hall of judgement where they can meet their father who is the god of judgment Osiris. Sadie ,Carter ,Walt, and Zia are at the doors they are confronted with the guardian of the Hall of judgement which is a big Egyptian dog they told the big guardian why they were there and their business. The dog stepped aside and the doors open but they had to get in there quickly because doors were closing behind them. They found their father and this little man about 3 foot tall and please name is Disturber. He is one of the court officials for Osiris.

    ReplyDelete
  47. Lord of the Flies
    William Golding
    Some boys have crashed on an island and they are scattered everywhere along the island. One of the boys, Ralph comes upon a hairy boy named Piggy. They go to a lagoon and talk about how Ralph got there. They eventually go to the beach where they find a shell, Ralph blows into the shell and the rest of the boys eventually show up, ages six to twelve. All of them decide on a leader and they picked Ralph, one of the boys Jack wanted to be leader and was mad. Ralph told Jack to the a walk around the island to find new things and kill a animal. At this point in the story there is already fights and arguments, they look like they will not get along in the story.

    ReplyDelete
  48. Im reading Friday Night Lights by H.G Bissinger I think that this book would be good for any one that enjoys team sports and loves to read about sports well in chapter 1 its all about how the team starts to bond and gets to know each other and how there a small little town in Texas and it like the high schools team can be a place were dreams can come true an i personally think that this is a great chapter the first one sets every thing all in to play.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You did a good job of writing an intro and conclusion, but this entire blog is one sentence long!

      Delete
  49. This is the second week that I have been reading HERO by Mike Lupica. I am in the 4th chapter near the inciting moment. I have just learned a good bit about the main character Zach Harriman. I learned that he lives in a New York apartment with his mom and is in high school. He only has a few friends and is bullied at school. His friends are scared to stand up to the bullies so he figures that it might be about time someone did. That's about all I have read so far but I am looking forward to reading more.

    ReplyDelete
  50. I just started reading Eleanor and Park by Rainbow Rowell. The book starts off with this sophomore named Park on a bus and he's some punk music guy. While on the bus, Park gets teased but not bullied. The people teasing him are his friends though and they seem fine. When this curly red haired new girl named Eleanor comes onto the bus everyone seems to dislike her for what she's wearing. She tries to move into the back of the bus with all of the bullies and mean kids; which would be a horrible idea for her because everyone seems to hate her. I know I just started the book but I seem to be loving it already!

    ReplyDelete
  51. I am still reading "The True Meaning of Smekday" by Adam Rex. This book is very interesting and funny. I like the kind of sense of humor that the author gave the characters which makes me go back to re-read a paragraph to catch any clever or smart jokes that were thrown in. I am excited to find out how the group of boys hiding came together. I want to know why they are hiding instead of going to Arizona like all of the other Americans. I am excited to continue reading and hope to finish up the book soon.
    Drew Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  52. The book I am reading for the second quarter is "The lost hero" and the author of the book is Rick Riordan. The main character is named Jason. Jason is the son of the Roman god, Jupiter. He is joined by his two best friends Leo, who is the son of the Greek god Hephaestus, and Piper, the daughter of the Greek goddess, Aphrodite. The book is based off of both Greek and Roman gods and goddess, and that's why I am reading it. I am really into Greek and Roman things like their gods and heros, which this book is all about.

    ReplyDelete
  53. (for October 17) – I am reading Poseidon’s Arrow written by Clive Cussler. The next part of the book happens in modern times. It is now 2014 and the setting is the Mojave Dessert in California. Three men break onto a mine site and set off several explosions. The leader is a man named Pablo. I don’t know what kind of mine it is or why they wanted to blow it up, but it must be important. In the next chapter, it moves to a different location with different characters. The President of the United States is touring a top secret lab where they are building a stealth submarine called the Sea Arrow. It uses a special propulsion system and can go VERY fast. The President seems very excited about this new technology that will “put us twenty years ahead of our nearest adversary.” The following weekend, Joe Eberson and Dr. Carl Heiland, who are working on the stealth submarine head out to sea to do some tests using a model of the sub. While they are out there, a strange freighter begins moving toward them. At first they don’t pay it any attention. But, it starts to get closer, Joe tells Carl he has a bad feeling. Sure enough, the crew of the ship aim some kind of device at them and Joe, Carl and Manny all start being in terrible pain. Joe watches Carl and Manny die and then he flips some kind of switch before dying himself. I wonder what the switch was for and who was on the ship?

    ReplyDelete